• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop crane and hoist installation

Installed a crane in my workshop today with the help of some friends.

The 6x6 beam is bolted to the loft floor joists. Crane is bolted to the beam. Framed in a lumber rack to the right hand side of the crane using the 6x6 as a support member.

Both crane and electric hoist are rated at #1100. It's doubtful that I will ever need more than #300.

2022 - 1 (4).jpeg 2022 - 2 (1).jpeg 2022 - 3 (2).jpeg 2022 - 4 (1).jpeg

Nice crane, Monty.......

You certainly are going to max out the capabilities of that Shopsmith! :)

jk

-----odie-----
I don't use the Shopsmith for lathe work. The reality is I haven't been doing much work in the flat lately and it just kind of sits there most of the time but it's there when I need a table saw or a drill press. For a 6'4" person the SS lathe is too low to the ground to be comfortable. Requires me to hunch over to use it and that kind of kills the turners dance.

I'm do my turning on a PM2014 right now with a goal of upgrading to a Sweet 16 someday.
IMG_0717 (1).jpeg

The crane is intended to support the pre-turning activity of cutting up big green logs with a chainsaw rather than assist with mounting large blanks on the lathe itself.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't use the Shopsmith for lathe work. The reality is I haven't been doing much work in the flat lately and it just kind of sits there most of the time but it's there when I need a table saw or a drill press. For a 6'4" person the SS lathe is too low to the ground to be comfortable. Requires me to hunch over to use it and that kind of kills the turners dance.

I'm do my turning on a PM2014 right now with a goal of upgrading to a Sweet 16 someday.
View attachment 47962

The crane is intended to support the pre-turning activity of cutting up big green logs with a chainsaw rather than assist with mounting large blanks on the lathe itself.

Hey Monty....... This isn't the droid you're looking for.....that little "jk" in my post means "just kidding"!

I started my lathe turning journey with an old Shopsmith....much older than yours! If I hadn't bought that rickety old Shopsmith at a garage sale, my whole life's path may be radically different than it is now. It was used for other projects for several years before I decided one day to try to make a bowl. Now, bowl turning is a major part of my life's trajectory!

BTW, nice looking shop you have there! :)

-----odie-----

@odie My shopsmith experience is much different than yours. I bought mine from my brother who had bought just about every attachment. After a year or so I decided to try my hand at woodturning. I was going to make some face post toppers. Painstakingly I got the thing set up (knew zero about woodturning except what the SS manual had) Not sure what speed, but as soon as I put a chisel to the wood and it flew out of the lathe across the room and put a dent in my door. I was done with wood turning! About a year later I saw my first wood pen and at the same time Lowes was closing out the Delta mini lathe that I bought for $119. I figured a small piece of wood would be less likely to do damage. From there, I was hooked. Must have turned more than a 1000 pens and never had one fly out.

Not to totally hijack the thread, when I had my shop built I had load bearing 12' ceiling I installed. I also had an area reinforced for a hoist. I don’t have it over my lathe, but that would be nice. I have a cart same height as the lathe ways. Any thing big I use a faceplate and shim until I can thread it on the spindle. I just have a HF 1100#, but use a single cable setup for 500# capacity. Maybe someday I'll put one over the lathe.

Back