• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop Fox air cleaner advice needed

I've ordered a Shop Fox W1830 hanging air filter for my shop.
Does anyone know the dimensions between the hooks? I want to install the hooks in my ceiling before it gets here if I can.

Thanks!

Bobshop fox w1830.jpg

They're 12 by 14. 12 inches apart down the length of the unit and 14 inches apart across the system. I don't own the Shop Fox filter but i do own the Wen version and since they use the same replacement filters the dimension should be the same.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
If it is anything like my Jet, it is going to be heavy. Get help to hang it, and put your hangers directly into a ceiling joist. Been a while since I built my shop, but something makes me think I put blocking in the ceiling when I was framing it out to put up the drywall so I would have something to hang mine from. The Jet has eyes instead of hooks, I put eyes in the ceiling and used repair links to connect the Jet eyes to the ceiling eyes.

Attachments

• 20220507_181844.jpg
    20220507_181844.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220507_181838.jpg
    20220507_181838.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 10
I have mine on an appliance dolly so I can roll it around since I didn't have help to hang it. I've been thinking of hanging it recently but wondered if ceiling mounted is just as effective in cleaning the air? Any thoughts?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Chances are your hooks aren't the same distance apart as the ceiling joists where you want to place your unit. I mounted two 3' pieces of angle iron (the kind with all the holes) with lag bolts to the ceiling joists. Then attached my JDS unit with 4 turnbuckles. The distance between the hooks is then irrelevant. I only have 7' headroom. If your ceiling is higher you could also use cable (or rope) with clamps along with the turnbuckles if you want to lower the unit. The turnbuckles allows you to easily level the unit - even if that isn't necessary for operation.

Thanks for all your tips!
Mine is going in my garage shop. It has joists on 24" centers so Tom's idea of using the angle iron brackets seems my best bet.
Thanks to everybody for you advice!
Bob

I've had a similar Jet unit. It doesn't matter where the joists are, within reason. You can run chain or cable to joists that are further away. Turnbuckles will help level, as Tom mentioned.

In my new shop I just purchased a couple of the new Jet units, the AFS-1000C. They are plastic (which is a good thing in this case, as they are about 40% lighter) and have some neat features. I agree it's safest to hang the metal ones with a friend. I installed these new Jet ones on shelves by myself without issue.

As for whether they catch more dust up high or lower, this has been subject to much internet debate. I think the general intent behind these units is to remove fine airborne particulates that do not get caught in a standard dust collection system, and this is done by moving air around. I don't have any religion about placement—one look at the filters after a day of work lets you know they are working. In the new shop I have two of them, mounted facing opposite directions on opposite walls in the machine area, about 7.5' up, the thought being that what doesn't get caught by one will be swirled around the room and picked up by the other. We'll see how that works out (I just hung them last week).

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thanks for all your tips!
Mine is going in my garage shop. It has joists on 24" centers so Tom's idea of using the angle iron brackets seems my best bet.
Thanks to everybody for you advice!
Bob
Another thing you might consider - I installed a regular 1" furnace filter in front of the unit's intake filter which works extremely well - can't remember the last time I had to clean or exchange the units filters. Any simple method of hanging the filter will work because when the unit is turned on it will suck the furnace up against the frame. I also attached 3 or 4 small 1/4" wide (maybe 12" long) ribbons on the exhaust end. These help me determine how good the air flow is - when they droop its time to clean the filters.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
In my new shop I just purchased a couple of the new Jet units, the AFS-1000C. They are plastic (which is a good thing in this case, as they are about 40% lighter) and have some neat features. I agree it's safest to hang the metal ones with a friend. I installed these new Jet ones on shelves by myself without issue.
I like the looks of that one. Plastic would certainly make it easier to hang, I had to use a rope system to get mine up so I could put some temporary S hooks between the eyes to hold it up while I made a more permanent mounting. I also like that the newer one has filter status, can dynamically adjust speed based on particulate in the air. The RF remote is a nice touch too - you don't have to have it aimed at the correct spot on the collector to make it work :)

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I have two WEN units, one at each end of the shop blowing opposite directions. Here's how I hung one of mine. I got lazy and didn't want to fiddle with it much that day and just left it this way. Just one chain on the back with a center hook. The corner ceiling hooks don't really have to line up exactly with the hooks on the unit. My other unit has them out at angles to match the joists hooks.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.JPG
    IMG_6056.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 14
I have the Grizzly version of this air filter. My background is in the chemical industry so I go to extremes compared to the average Woodworker for air quality. Over the last 10 years I purchased one of the units every time Grizzly put them on sale. Now have 4, one set across the diagonal of each corner of the shop. So the air circulates around the shop. My IH manager suggested to put a 10“ to 12” ribbon on the outlet. When the ribbon starts to droop down from its angle when the filters are fresh, its time for a filter change. I find the external filters have required changing twice as often as the fine internal filters. I am very satisfied with these air filters. I would expect all the clones to work similarly.

realize that you may have hung this already since the post about 3 weeks old. However, since I bought my air cleaner I have hung it using S-hooks/eye bolts and vacuum cleaner belts (the round rubber belts). This serves at least 2 purposes. One is that it allows for some flexibility on the placement of the bolts/S-hooks since the vacuum cleaner belts are flexible and stretchy. Secondly, the belts dampen any vibration of the unit (which admittedly is not much). Anyway it's worked for me for 25 years. I think I've replaced the belts once, when I moved it to a different ceiling location in the shop, but I don't think it was necessary to change them even then.

It's worked extremely well for me on the ceiling. The only issue with all of these (and mine is a JDS) is that the filtering is not at the HEPA level. The only air cleaner made by a woodworking related company that is HEPA is the most recent Powermatic addition. It can also be hung from the ceiling. I did buy this Powermatic unit, but I have kept my old JDS in its place and mounted the Powermatic on wheels so that I can keep it close to where I am working; tablesaw, bandsaw, router table, sanding, and lathe. I realize that having 2 of these units might be overkill but I have always believed you can't underestimate the need for maximum dust collection, so I have a cyclone for large machines, a HEPA vac for sanding and smaller power tools, and the air cleaners for overall filtering. It does work and, as long as I don't forget to turn them on, very little dust settles on anything in my shop. I also use a HEPA powered helmet, mostly when turning, but other times as well. I never find any fine dust in my nasal passages, as sign at least to me that it's all worth it. I feel my lungs are as safe as possible.

I like the rubber belt isolation idea. For various reasons a ceiling mount was not optimum in my shop. I mounted my Jet unit on its side to the top of the stud wall. Works well, but I will say that vibration is transmitted to the upper floor. Next time I would use some sort of rubber isolator between the unit and the wall.

Does anyone know the dimensions between the hooks? I want to install the hooks in my ceiling before it gets here if I can.

Thanks!

BobView attachment 44526
Hi just to give you my tip I used rubber muffler hangers on Amazon, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L87264K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 They work really well to dampen the vibration the unit caused on the ceiling of my basement.(the floor of the living room. You don't even know it's running. Before the whole floor vibrated.

realize that you may have hung this already since the post about 3 weeks old. However, since I bought my air cleaner I have hung it using S-hooks/eye bolts and vacuum cleaner belts (the round rubber belts). This serves at least 2 purposes. One is that it allows for some flexibility on the placement of the bolts/S-hooks since the vacuum cleaner belts are flexible and stretchy. Secondly, the belts dampen any vibration of the unit (which admittedly is not much). Anyway it's worked for me for 25 years. I think I've replaced the belts once, when I moved it to a different ceiling location in the shop, but I don't think it was necessary to change them even then.

It's worked extremely well for me on the ceiling. The only issue with all of these (and mine is a JDS) is that the filtering is not at the HEPA level. The only air cleaner made by a woodworking related company that is HEPA is the most recent Powermatic addition. It can also be hung from the ceiling. I did buy this Powermatic unit, but I have kept my old JDS in its place and mounted the Powermatic on wheels so that I can keep it close to where I am working; tablesaw, bandsaw, router table, sanding, and lathe. I realize that having 2 of these units might be overkill but I have always believed you can't underestimate the need for maximum dust collection, so I have a cyclone for large machines, a HEPA vac for sanding and smaller power tools, and the air cleaners for overall filtering. It does work and, as long as I don't forget to turn them on, very little dust settles on anything in my shop. I also use a HEPA powered helmet, mostly when turning, but other times as well. I never find any fine dust in my nasal passages, as sign at least to me that it's all worth it. I feel my lungs are as safe as possible.
you can bring these units to higher filtration standards by up grading the internal find filter. When I did this originally several years ago on this unit everything I could find was either too big or too small. Found some that were approx. 2 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower. Made wooden holder to make up the space and applied weather stripping foam to the sealing face. Works well but a couple watch outs. This reduces flow on each of the speeds but since I had overkill with 4 units in my 24x30x9 shops seems fine. My other was the fan motor overheating. Sat two units on my bench side by side. One with clean standard filters and one with my upgrade. Set the run timer at the four hour max. At the end of this both motors were hot to the touch but I could still place my hand on both. It appears you can now purchase HEPA filters in the correct size but for some reason they are twice the price of my fix

Since my air cleaner was old (about 25 years old) and bought at a time when these cleaners weren’t really very common I bought the new Powermatic cleaner. It is essentially HEPA although not rated that. Right now I have both, my old JDS hanging from the ceiling and the Powermatic sitting on the floor on a homemade mobile base. I can move the Powermatic near where I need it and since it’s low it draws the dust downward instead of moving it around in the upper areas near the ceiling. Eventually I’ll probably get rid of the old one and either mount the Powermatic on the ceiling or leave it on the floor. Problem is it takes up valuable floor space but it does a great job done there especially when I’m turning. It gets any dust that my cyclone attached hood doesn’t get wish I’m turning. Plus it can be moved near other machines like my table saw which the cyclone is less effective with. I still wear a 3M HEPA powered helmet when actually working on machines just to be sure and to offer facial protection. Some will say this is overkill but it keeps the air eclxtremely clean. For a basement shop and my health I feel it’s all worth it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

Thanks!

BobView attachment 44526

I have a JDS I suspended mine a bit lower by using a loop of 1/4” nylon rope to eye bolts on each end then hang the filter on the rope.

These are great in a smaller space.
Make dusty air breathable dust free air without a mask in an hour or so of creating the the dust.

Back