• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shraga Bellon

Hi to all,
I have been turning for about 20 years. I retired in 2016 and my hobby became my full time occupation.
My shop is 1500 sqft or 1068 sqm and is located N/E of Toronto Canada on our equestrian centre.

Started , as many do, with pen making and then progressed to larger projects
I have a Oneway 2436 lathe and a few smaller lathes. Also have a handmade wooden lathe for making Newel posts for staircase railings. This enables me to make spirals and other squiggly lines similar to the Beall Pen Wizard but on a much larger scale.
Until now I have focused on bowls and platters. The largest platter I ever made was 30 inches in diameter
A few months ago I tried deep hollowing of single piece blanks for vases. I was using the Oneway Deep Hollowing system which while it works well, is really is only good for up to to about 12 inches (30 cm). Deeper than that and my boring bar starts "dancing" violently.
I have just purchased a Clark Deep hollowing System with the Ultra boring bar (waiting for delivery) which, according to the manufacturer, will enable me to bore in excess of 36 inches (91 cm). I do not make segmented items, only single piece items, boring through endgrain.

If anybody has experience with these larger Items I would welcome any advice/suggestions they can give me.

Thank you

Unfortunately they have not yet delivered yet.
The 3-4 weeks estimated lead time has turned into over 7 weeks and counting.
I understand they have some supplier delays and hopefully it will be finished this week. Shipping to Canada and clearing customs will most probably add at least an additional week
On the positive side I am really excited to try it out and have already found a number of sources for big wood.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Unfortunately they have not yet delivered yet.
The 3-4 weeks estimated lead time has turned into over 7 weeks and counting.
I understand they have some supplier delays and hopefully it will be finished this week. Shipping to Canada and clearing customs will most probably add at least an additional week
On the positive side I am really excited to try it out and have already found a number of sources for big wood.

When he used to come to the SWAT symposium I was very impressed by the design and build quality. Steve Sinner was also there with his Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar system. I strongly considered the Clark system, but finally decided on Steve Sinner's system. You definitely will like the Clark Deep Hollowing rig.

When he used to come to the SWAT symposium I was very impressed by the design and build quality. Steve Sinner was also there with his Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar system. I strongly considered the Clark system, but finally decided on Steve Sinner's system. You definitely will like the Clark Deep Hollowing rig.
There are some differences, I agree. Sinner's product is very interesting.
I think I gave Clark a shock as I ordered his whole system as well as his sphere jig!
I will let you know how it goes.

I hope you are not in a hurry. I ordered a Clark hollowing system last July and received it in December. I soon realized I needed the guarded tool rest and received it 4 months later. Keith attributed the delays to medical issues and moving to a new shop in covid times.

It should work out for you when it shows up. A 1.75" bar is truly mega! I have not used my 1.25" bar to its potential yet. I do like the solid mounting for the video camera.

You may want to try out the Woodcut Pro Forme cutter. It is a bit fussy to set up but very fast and smooth cutting.

As Timothy said, John Tisdale has shared info on his deep hollowing experience here, definitely worth checking out.

:(
Keith has assured me that my order is in powder coating stage! I am one of the less patient people in this world (According to my son!) and would hate to have to wait that long.
The Clark operation is a small one and appears to be challenged on lead times. On the other hand I have heard nothing but accolades regarding his products, so I will have to cool my heels and wait impatiently.
Thanks for the suggestion re the woodcut cutter. Keith is sending the appropriate adaptor with my shipment. After reviewing the information on that cutter from various people I plan on ordering it. It does seem to be very promising

I hope you are not in a hurry. I ordered a Clark hollowing system last July and received it in December. I soon realized I needed the guarded tool rest and received it 4 months later. Keith attributed the delays to medical issues and moving to a new shop in covid times.

It should work out for you when it shows up. A 1.75" bar is truly mega! I have not used my 1.25" bar to its potential yet. I do like the solid mounting for the video camera.

You may want to try out the Woodcut Pro Forme cutter. It is a bit fussy to set up but very fast and smooth cutting.

As Timothy said, John Tisdale has shared info on his deep hollowing experience here, definitely worth checking out.
I received all the components finally last week.
I have the deep hollowing rig, the steady rest with 8 arms, the Ultra bar, the camera system and the sphere jig.
Its going to take me some time to try out all the components. :)

Back