• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sid Bright

IMG_20200310_112138259 (2).jpg IMG_20200310_120221012.jpg Hi, my name is Sid Bright and I have been turning since 1993. I started when our family gathered for a flat bread making session. their were several of us there rolling the dough and everyone wanted to use my wife's grandmothers rolling pin. the thing about it was she was from Norway and the rolling pin had 1/8 inch groves in it. this pin worked better on the super thin roll of dough and did not plug up.It had a dough gripping quality unlike any we had seen or used. So at that point I went to my shop and created a jig to anchor the quill on my drill press. then I crafted a bearing on the press table. this led to adding an angle iron vertical to use as a tool rest. I then needed tools so I manufactured some by taking some old car tire lug wrenches and grinding a flute in them. thus this led me to heat and oil dip for hardness. now I had everything to start turning. I turned 5 rolling pins with groves for the family.

Welcome. The wife has been after me to make a French rolling pin. I don't think she would object to a Norwegian rolling pin.

sorry for a slow response I have been busy in the shop getting my entries ready for the Idaho Artistry in Wood show. Coming up March 21-22
here is a picture of the rolling pin.

IMAG0329.jpg

Also I am on a learning curve as how to navigate the forum.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
sorry for a slow response I have been busy in the shop getting my entries ready for the Idaho Artistry in Wood show. Coming up March 21-22
here is a picture of the rolling pin.

View attachment 32363

Also I am on a learning curve as how to navigate the forum.

Nice. I didn't understand that the grooves ran lengthwise and not around it!

OK, at the time I turned them, I made a wooden jig with indexer to turn the pin in. I made it to have a wide flat top to run my trim router the full length.
I now have built a router holder that fits to my lathe and can cut groves that way.

OK, at the time I turned them, I made a wooden jig with indexer to turn the pin in. I made it to have a wide flat top to run my trim router the full length.
I now have built a router holder that fits to my lathe and can cut groves that way.
Neat! Could you tell us the diameter of the wood used, the number of valleys and the depth of the router cuts. Thank You.

Neat! Could you tell us the diameter of the wood used, the number of valleys and the depth of the router cuts. Thank You.
Well I don't have the pin to measure for it is packed in a box somewhere. My memory says that it was maple and 2-3/8 diameter.the number of groves is unknown but they were 1/8 by 1/8 by 1/8 this turned out to be equal all the way around the pin.hope this will help

Back