• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Silica Gel

does any body use Silica Gel to dry wood? I have began to experiment with the idea. some time ago I ask my sister to retreive/save the little packets that came in electronic components! (GM factory) the stuff gets trashed, so why not? she brought me quite a mess of the little packets later. Now she is retired and I am too so there went my source! but the stuff is reusable as I can determine by drying in a oven or Microwave. I have a peice of green/wet sycamore in a metal can that has a tight lid. about 4'' of silica gel/clay decasent mixed. plan to cut a peice in about a month and see how it feels/turns/sands. would like to hear from anyone who might have the jump on me!

dave J said:
does any body use Silica Gel to dry wood? I have began to experiment with the idea. some time ago I ask my sister to retreive/save the little packets that came in electronic components! (GM factory) the stuff gets trashed, so why not? she brought me quite a mess of the little packets later. Now she is retired and I am too so there went my source! but the stuff is reusable as I can determine by drying in a oven or Microwave. I have a peice of green/wet sycamore in a metal can that has a tight lid. about 4'' of silica gel/clay decasent mixed. plan to cut a peice in about a month and see how it feels/turns/sands. would like to hear from anyone who might have the jump on me!

Dave,

I've heard of several people who have tried the silica route, mostly with mixed results, and usually finding it's far more trouble than its worth. If you really gotta have fast drying, ditch the silica and go straight to the oven or nuc. Note however, that rapid drying of many woods increases the stress on the wood structure and the items crack badly. That's part of why lumber kiln-drying programs have cycles where moisture is actually added back and then removed again; to relieve stress.

m

I've never tried the silica, but have been looking for a use for the 10lbs or so I've got. Large machinery comes with quite large packets. :D

The stuff will adsorb ~25% by weight of moisture at 50% RH, while cellulose adsorbs ~9% by weight at the same. So cook some wood at 150 degrees in the oven to dry it out and you'll be able to collect the same amount of water with only three times the weight.

But why bother? With an available ocean of air out there to dilute and carry away, why try to contain it if you're looking to dry fast enough to risk degrade? All you're doing is collecting the water in little bags. Do the same with dry shavings which don't have warnings on them that the most likely to violate can't read.

Website
www.FWCWT.org
I've tried it a couple of times with poor results.
My wife keeps several large tubs of the stuff for drying flowers.

From what I can tell, it dries the wood too fast and it ends up splitting, and cracking.

It may work fine for more stable woods - I have only tried it with citrus and walnut.

Website
www.woodnheart.com
Silica gel was one of many of the methods I tested for drying wood. It wasn't effective in my opinion. But then some people don't think my opinion is worth much. Perhaps your experience will be different.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Burnt out in Longview, WA.

Dave Smith said:
. . . some people don't think my opinion is worth much. Perhaps your experience will be different.

Dave Smith

Yeah, s'bout wa-chud 'spect fum an alky.

mm
crispy in new jersey

If you would like to continue to experiment with silica gel you could buy the cat litter made from it. I think it is called litter pearls. There may be a few brands but they look like you guessed it ...pearls. Another option might be to ask a phone guy if you know any for some dessicant. Might get some help there too.

Andy Hoyt said:
Hmmm - what about any old cat litter? Of the "not used" variety, of course.

Mostly clay. Think Speedi-Dry. Point is that you can let the air carry away the moisture the wood produces for free rather than collect it in some compound. Problem is, unless you keep a fair control on relative humidity, you can dry it too fast and get degrade. Wood, as suggested is a great solution, because it will adsorb up to the FSP from the inside, and pass to the outside based on relative humidity and heat. Paper is wood, of course, which makes a bag or two a suitable buffer.

Now ask yourself whether it's really worth it. If you can find a place with about 65% or more RH, spin or air eject the bulk of the unbound moisture, you're only a month or at most two away from use on most woods. For example, green cherry spun at 700 for fifteen minutes - long enough to hollow the inside - dries to equilibrium in about five weeks at 1 1/8 thickness under those conditions. Dried at 40% it's firewood in a week or so.

Hard maple of ~1" cut six weeks and roughed five ago is at equilibrium in my house right now, though It's only been four days between weigh-ins, done for grins and giggles and because the daughter wanted another popcorn bowl. Normally I just put 'em on the racks through the roughing season and take them off during the selling season. Decided I'd give her bass anyway. The bass blank had better popcorn configuration.

MichaelMouse said:
Decided I'd give her bass anyway. The bass blank had better popcorn configuration.

Michael,

You turn FISH? :eek:

I think I'm impressed, but have to ask: Do you chuck'em up by the gills, the tail, or just insert that pin chuck of yours from one end? :D :D

M

Does have a bit of a scale pattern, come to think. I told her that the maple was more of a salad configuration and shee seems to agree.

Around 13 on the maple, 12 on the bass, but it's almost 3/4" deeper. Thumb rim for passing, bottom half inch thick for insulation. Walnut oil. Hey, it was an afternoon's turning to make 'em, and it kept me off the woodpile!

Attachments

• Afternoon-Bowls.jpg
    Afternoon-Bowls.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 70
Sam's not generous, but he's regular with that check. Wasn't for these kids and their schools and car insurance, I might be able to survive on mine. Especially with the 3.3 we get in January.

Went to school in South Bend before the meteor impact that got the other dinosaurs. Not a Dame.

Back