• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

size of workshop

I have a small shed which now houses garden tools, lawn mower. Just wondering what would be the smallest and safest area to set up for turning.
As far as the lathe, there is plenty of room, but what about ventilation. It has a door and one window. Any suggestions please.

I would think that bigger is better but...... If what you have will hold a lathe and you at same time it is probably big enough. You may need to rig dust collection on outside of building. It is worth trying. It is a whole lot cheaper than building a new building

Website
www.zionfire.com
Twenty Questions (well, at least ten!)

Grandy,

Welcome to the forum! You'll find LOTS of folks who'll help you think this through here. We LOVE to help.

Would you do us all a favor? Please visit your profile and put at least the state where you reside in there?? That would help folks more intelligently answer your question about your need for ventilation. In Texas, heck you need massive a/c. In northern Minnesota, you need a blast furnace and bars for summer to prevent the mosquitos from taking you away! In parts of Arizona, you need a swamp cooler to add humidity for a big part of the year plus a/c all year long. Florida's the opposite, gotta PULL humidity all most all year long.

A couple of questions, again to help us offer ideas:
  1. Do you use green wood? If so where ya gonna dry it?
  2. How you gonna handle wood storage?
  3. How large is your lathe?
  4. What sorts of things do you turn?
  5. What sort of finish do you use or want to use?
  6. What kind of storage for abrasives, finishes, hardware, tools?
  7. Do you need any sort of workbench or countertop space for prep?
  8. Will you have space for sharpening & honing stuff?
  9. Do you have enough power for your lathe, your dust collection, lighting, boombox, a/c or heat?
  10. Whatcha gonna do with the mower??? :rolleyes:

Just a few considerations. We'd love to talk about ALL of them, and see what solutions arise. Or if you build an addition to the shed before you move in... :D

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Grandy, where you live is a factor as was mentioned. Since you only asked about ventilation and not heat, you probably live in a wonderful area!

If you can open both door and window for cross ventilation, that's a good thing. Since you're talking about a garden shed, your "shop" isn't going to be 20' x 20' but if you can fit even a small exhaust inside, that would work. I have a smaller Grizzly unit with the double bags, I have a hose to the bandsaw, one to the sander and one to the lathe, each connection has a shutter.

If you're not allergic to any woods, even a squirrel fan in the wall would work just fine with either the door or window open.

Ruth

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ruth Niles said:
If you're not allergic to any woods, even a squirrel fan in the wall would work just fine with either the door or window open.

Ruth

IMO, there are two types of wood-workers, those who have a reaction to wood-dust, and those that will.

Hey Grandy,

Welcome on!

One of our club's turners actually uses his walk in closet in his home for his shop. Does miniatures only but still.

If the space will hold you and the lathe, you're good to go for starters. Past that though, your shop needs will grow rapidly. As mentioned above, wood storage, tools, supplies, dust management, finishing area, etc.

Since most folks don't like spending a steady stream of money to have bowl blanks delivered to them, you'll need a bandsaw, more storage area, more storage area, drill press, second lathe (bigger), third lathe (smaller), etc. Basements, garages, and barns end up being the shops for most folks.

Anyway, just set up and start. You'll figure out pretty quick what you need.

And that blower fan in the window is a good idea in a small space.

Dietrich

My Garden Shed works

I started turning with a jet mini on a wheeled stand. I rolled it outside in good weather. I upgraded to my garden shed's 5 ft by 11 ft wing when I got a oneway 1224 (2 ft by 4 ft footprint). My grinder fits too. The drill press and band saw are in the garage on wheels for their outdoor trips. I use three 100 watt light bulbs for light and heat. In the summer I turn in the am or pm and use fewer bulbs for lights along with a shop fluorescent light. This works and with the 5 ft by 6 ft wing for wood storage would do for the smaller things I turn.

BUT, after the quilt studio gets built above the garage (it won the toss) I am replacing the garden shed with an 8 ft by 17 ft insulated turning shed. The drill press and saw will move into the new shed too. Being in California I can use a fan and open doors / windows for ventilation as well as a dust mask and air filter for dust control.

I really like having a dedicated space where the tools are out ready to go, rather than having to get everything out and breaking it down each time. Do the best you can with your shed and see how you like it.

I must say, turners are the most caring and sharing folks I've been involved with in a long time. Wish I could meet and thank everyone in person that responded to my plea for help. I feel like I just joined a family.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
I filled in the personal info. Didn't know about that.
I'm sure I'll need more help.

Put your lathe or its footprint on cardboard on neutral ground like the top of a workmate and "turn" on it mentally before you make major decisions. The comments here keep mentioning what you turn, but how you turn is important as well.

If you're a centerline and over the ways turner as I am, you need room to travel the length of the lathe, but next to nothing beyond. I have a workbench tight to the tail of the lathe and have to keep the whole far enough from the wall it abuts to be able to rotate the headstock. Would be different if I wanted to turn without the tailstock.

Anyway, masking tape is your friend. Put it on the floor to show how much you've got and do the walking, including the switch operation tool access and the motions of the next stage, because there will be a next stage, of your turning. If you find yourself stepping on the lines, you'll need larger. Or maybe just an adjustment of the lathe position.

Then there are some, like myself, who have changed girth since siting our lathes, but(t) that's another dimension of clearance.

Last edited:
Back