• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sodium silicate

In a previous thread (http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=2964), I pondered the wisdom of using sodium silicate as a slower-drying substitute for CA finish. It appears that is a non-starter.

One of my links identified US patent 4,612,050 (1986). The link was described as "instant petrified wood." That patent was issued to Hamilton Hicks of Greenwich CT. Hicks mentions deficiencies of straight sodium silicate as a wood coating: for strong solutions, tendency to crack and peel in high humidity environment; and for weak solutions, tendency to become soft and drip.

Hicks' invention consisted of augmenting the sodium silicate with a variety of minerals, including Microlite, China Clay, Pascalite Montana, Volcanic Ash, Desert Mineral Clay, and Bentonite. Hicks' objective was to create fireproof wood to be used in stables for expensive horses. He also suggested the addition of a bad-tasting surfactant to discourage the horses from chewing on the wood. (Maybe this would help protect my house from squirrels. :mad: )

I expect these added minerals, while extending the life of the coating, would negatively affect the appearance of the wood. So it is probably not the boon to woodturners that I initially imagined.

Any contradictory comments will be welcome.

JG

Back