• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sourcing Wood for Projects

As a new turner I am wondering where you get your wood for your projects? I have been using bowl blanks and spindle stock from an online suppliers and I‘m wondering what
sources others are using.

Thanks,

Bob

Most of mine is from my backyard. That is changing now, as I've joined a club, and have made friends with several folks who have more wood than time to turn. You might also ask around for any local tree services. One other thing I've done successfully twice, is driving by a house where a tree has come down - stop in, introduce yourself, and offer a bowl in return for some wood from their tree. Many folks will appreciate a lasting reminder of a tree that was in their yard.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Bob! This is a great question, and leads to a very deep rabbit hole. If you have the ability, harvesting greenwood can be a great source of varieties that you can't buy anywhere else (or in appropriate sizes). Storm-fallen trees, trimmed trees, etc... You can use this immediately, but it will likely warp on you as it dries and loses moisture. You can also seal the endgrain to slow drying, for example if you are drying your own spindle stock or you want to turn it later for whatever other reason. You can also purchase pre-dried stock (like you've likely already been doing) if you want to turn immediately with minimal or no warpage. This is all surface-level information. The biggest thing is that the specific project/purpose will dictate what type of wood you need/want, and/or for the wood to become what you need it be (dry, spalted, etc...).

I am certain your question will elicit many responses.

I don't have the time, space, or tools to go hunting down green wood and process it in a timely manner. I use mostly leftovers from non-turning wood projects supplemented with whatever is on sale from Woodcraft when I can make out there every few months.

Spindle stock probably could be gotten from a local sawmill. I turn lots of spindles from 4/4 stock. Roughsawn it can run about $2 / *board* foot, depending on the wood. Make contact with a local club -- they can likely help (advice, perhaps even wood).

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
As a new turner I am wondering where you get your wood for your projects? I have been using bowl blanks and spindle stock from an online suppliers and I‘m wondering what
sources others are using.

Thanks,

Bob
connect with a local chapter of the AAW. Their members will likely have sources of wood.
go to the AAW site resources find a chapter. Pick mass or conn from the state and you get the chapters in that state. link below should take you there.

chapters often have wood at meetings, send out emails on available trees. Most turners have extra wood they give away.
one club member brings a pickup load every other meeting of Cutoffs from a cabinet shop - sapeli, maple, poplar…
when our club meets at a tree- 2 or 3 people will use saws. The others load and move wood. Everyone gets their share.

Thanks for all the replies. My days of running a chainsaw are in the rear view mirror due to to many back operations and too many aftermarket parts. For me it will be mostly bowl blanks and segments I think.

Bob

@Bob Hall ,

western mass woodturners normally has a wood swap/raffle at our monthly meeting. Second Wednesday each month. It relies on members donations. At Mr Real Mercier’s shop 31 Lowell st west Springfield (across street from Big E). We always welcome visitors!

I took a ride to Parkerville wood in Manchester ct. yesterday to get something special. They have some amazing wood.

I also hear that Berkshire wood good, but never been there.

I have also bought wood from Bear Hill sawmill in Belchertown, and since it’s near my house, I sometimes find usable pieces in their rejects pile for free. Better call ahead, it’s a one man operation with irregular hours.

Mostly I pick up wood in the woods or on the side of the road. For me that’s 1/2 the fun.

western mass woodturners normally has a wood swap/raffle at our monthly meeting. Second Wednesday each month. It relies on members donations. At Mr Real Mercier’s shop 31 Lowell st west Springfield (across street from Big E). We always welcome visitors!

I have been meaning to get back to another Western Mass Woodturners for another meeting. I attended one but life just got busy and I never got back to join.

I took a ride to Parkerville wood in Manchester ct. yesterday to get something special. They have some amazing wood.

Thanks for the info. I have been to Forest Products Associates in Greenfield a few times and they have a great selection. It looks like Parkerville has a similar setup and would be a little closer to me.

https://forestproductsassociates.com/

Thanks,

Bob

Website
www.ovwg.org
I source almost all of my domestic wood from CR Muterspaw lumber. The prices are great and they offer tons of wood from 1" to 4" thick in exotic and domestic species. They do ship, but I shop at the sawmill in Xenia Ohio, a couple miles from home. Give Chad a call, especially if you are doing bowls and segmenting!

Also depends what you are building. Look in the shorts bin when you buy lumber for flat projects. Shorts are discounted and big enough for platters and bowls. Rounds that are otherwise destined to be firewood can be good for bowls. Use your bandsaw to break down rounds if you don't want to use a chainsaw. Obviously, rip first.

Facebook marketplace. You can find adds where a tree has been cut down and logs are stacked by the curb. The drawback is you need a way to haul it , move it and cut it.
I've been using my dump trailer and some 1 ton comalongs but after loading some large Honey Locust yesterday, I've ordered a 2 ton 12v winch to mount on the trailer. The winch comes with a remote so I can stay out of the line of fire when loading heavy logs.
You can also notify tree services in your area. Be sure to tell them you want to use it for your hobby turning etc. It can make a difference if they also sell firewood as an additional service. I've gotten some nice Black Walnut logs dropped off from them

How to get bowl blanks, Follow the advice of Monty Python!

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night, I work all day

MOUNTIES CHOIR
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and works all day

PALIN
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

How to get bowl blanks, Follow the advice of Monty Python!

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night, I work all day

MOUNTIES CHOIR
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and works all day

PALIN
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea
I had to laugh out loud. I haven’t seen that in ages.

Sourcing green wood, getting it to my property then chainsawing bowl and platter blanks is arguably my favorite part of the woodturning process.

Back