• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

South Bend Lathe

Does anyone have experience with the South Bend SB1126 lathe? I have some experience with other South Bend tools both new as part of the grizzly brand and the old South Bend metal lathes. I’m sure a lot has changed from what their metal lathes were to this machine.

Appears to be a well built and thought out machine. Would check nearly all the boxes in what I’m looking for to upgrade my lathe now. I’ve no ability to look at or demo one in person so I was hoping to get some first hand experience from someone here.

No experience with that lathe. To me the Record Power Regent looks like a better lathe for $500 less. You can get it from Highland Woodworking. I have had the Record Power Envoy the 16” little brother for a couple of years and love it.

I have been wondering the same thing. Versus the regent Rusty mentions, you get 1hp and 300lbs more in the South Bend and a lower bottom RPM but you do not have a swivel head And loose some high end speed. I am wondering if anyone has used the Southbend and has any feedback.

Back