• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Speed controller for Harbor Freight mini lathe?

Is there any reasonable way to add a speed controller to my Harbor Freight mini lathe? It has a single phase AC motor and apparently the controllers that you can buy for routers, fans, etc will damage the lathe motor. I'd like to be able to change lathe speed without tinkering with the belt as much. A better lathe is not in the near future for me. Thanks.

In the past, the Penn State kit used a DC motor, not sure if they still do. My mini Jet has a DC motor, so they are workable, but they have some annoying quirks. If the Penn State kit is still DC, you might be better off putting the money in the cookie jar, in savings for your upgrade lathe.

Looks like it is still DC per the listing. I also have the mini harbor freight lathe and have looked at this conversion kit in the past. I don't like that the lowest speed is nearly the same as the stock harbor freight one. I'd rather take the 15-20 seconds to change the belt than double the price of the lathe.
I do have fun pushing my lathe to the limits. I enjoy the occasional problem solving.

Is there any reasonable way to add a speed controller to my Harbor Freight mini lathe? It has a single phase AC motor and apparently the controllers that you can buy for routers, fans, etc will damage the lathe motor. I'd like to be able to change lathe speed without tinkering with the belt as much. A better lathe is not in the near future for me. Thanks.
Though I'm new to turning, I've actually looked into this quite a bit. There are a number of issues with just adding speed control, but the three big issues are cost, reliability, and performance. In the end I decided the best option for me that wasn't too expensive was to scavenge a beefier motor and controller from a treadmill. There are a number of YouTube videos of people that have done this on the full-size HF lathes. I was pursing this option, and I actually got a good treadmill motor, and made up the motor controller/power supply, but I came across a very nice used lathe at a great price that I couldn't pass up. I've still got the motor and controller waiting for a good project. Maybe I'll get an old drill press and modify it to have variable speed control. I'd offer you the motor and controller at a reasonble price, but I think they'd be too big for a mini lathe.

Given the price of the conversion kit, this lathe from Penncraft might be a better option for me. I could (try to) sell my Harbor Freight and get a lathe that already has a speed controller. The throw over the bed is smaller, but for my purposes that might be OK.

Given the price of the conversion kit, this lathe from Penncraft might be a better option for me. I could (try to) sell my Harbor Freight and get a lathe that already has a speed controller. The throw over the bed is smaller, but for my purposes that might be OK.
Since you're posting here, I'm going to assume you want some feedback on this option. My thought is that for the money, you are probably not going to see much improvement from your HF lathe. I suggest you stick that money in your piggy bank and save for a more substantially better lathe. When you're lathe shopping on a budget, it can take some time for the right used lathe at the right price to show up on your radar, but suddenly, one day, there it is. In the meantime, you'll have saved up more money than you have now, and it'll be yours.

For me it's not just a matter of money. I have extremely limited space on the back side of a bench with a 6x18" metal lather on the front. I have no space for another workbench. Also, I have too many other hobbies to have enough time to get really serious about woodturning. A lathe the size of the Harbor Freight is about as big as I can go. If I can turn pens, other household items, gifts, small bowls, and lidded boxes, that'll be enough for me. At least so far...

Just FYI, HF just came out with a new 14" variable speed mini lathe. You could pretty much sell your current HF and buy the new one instead with the proceeds + not too much more than getting the Penn State kit for the other.

Looks to be the exact same casting and setup (better lowest speed even) as the CSUSA one and the Griz for about half the price. I'm tempted to get one just to shoot a YouTube review.

It's 14" longer than the Penn state one you linked but you'd get lots better swing if you can make room for it.

Just FYI, HF just came out with a new 14" variable speed mini lathe. You could pretty much sell your current HF and buy the new one instead with the proceeds + not too much more than getting the Penn State kit for the other.

Looks to be the exact same casting and setup (better lowest speed even) as the CSUSA one and the Griz for about half the price. I'm tempted to get one just to shoot a YouTube review.

It's 14" longer than the Penn state one you linked but you'd get lots better swing if you can make room for it.
Thanks-- that's something to consider once I get a bit more experienced with my current HF.

The new one looks like a nice little step up! It even has reverse and an index. If it seems well made enough in person I might be tempted to get it next time I get a 25% coupon in my email. Maybe turn my old one into a dedicated ornamental lathe or something.

Careful—it’s 1 inch 8 tpi and not 1 1/4 inch . . .

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
That's the same as my original HF lathe, right?
Should be. 1 x 8 seems fairly standard for bottom-end small shop lathes like that. It'd be the same as my relatively "ancient" reeves drive 12x36 from HF .. I'd almost be tempted to have a look at that 14 inch , except that I am now within a few hundred bucks saved up for my new Jet 1640, unless a sale happens along at some point that I can jump on. (Includes funds saved up for a 1-1/4 x 8 chuck and an insert for my one "insert" type chuck..)

Someone on reddit pointed out that it looks exactly like the Wen 14" lathe. I have the Wen and it's a decent starter lathe. Now if my new Rikon would ever ship...

I wonder if they are planning on releasing a new full size lathe too. They discontinued the old one. I stopped by on my way home from work and they were sold out and didn't have a floor model.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I wonder if they are planning on releasing a new full size lathe too. They discontinued the old one. I stopped by on my way home from work and they were sold out and didn't have a floor model.
In my Honest and relatively experienced opinion with "entry level" machinery like Harbor Freight, Wen, Skil, Etc. , if you are looking for a full-size lathe (Or Drill Press, End Mill, Sander, Planer, etc.), I'd strongly recommend to forget about Harbor Freight, and any other similar "cheaper" lathes (the smaller Grizzly, Wen, Turncrafters, etc.) and save your money for something like a Jet , Laguna, Record Power, etc. (Price range in the mid 2K's to lower 3K's)
The Fit and Finish of those cheaper lathes is a crapshoot and can be anywhere from "Piece of Junk soon as you unbox it" to "Fairly decent but not a forever lathe" You'll be spending a lot of time fiddling around with adjustments (No such thing as set it and forget it with those things) to get it (and keep it) set up nicely (I Still have to re-tighten, loosen, adjust, re-tighten again on my HF lathe, and even then it can't hold a straight line for multiple turnings due to very loose tolerances on the fit of the components like tailstock, headstock, etc.) - Basically if you already have a usable lathe, and looking for an upgrade, HF and its kin ain't an upgrade...

I wanted to get a nicer one (Like Powermatic 3520, or a Harvey T-60, I thought briefly about the T-40 but I'm shooting for a 16" swing - 14 inch is just a tad too small after accounting for banjo clearance and non-round blanks, otherwise I'd be planning on a T-40 with bed extension) but my budget won't let me do that, so Jet JWL-1642 is pretty much gonna be "it" for me.

Just my 2 cents worth (Which is about as valuable as the 2 pennies)

I'm just looking at the moment. If reviews are mostly positive and I get a 25% coupon it might still be worth it for me. I have lots of other things to get before upgrading to a full size lathe, like more than one 110v outlet in my garage, a bandsaw, chainsaw, etc. I also have access to some Oneways at the local community college if I want to do something big.

Back