• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spinnin' wood is cheaper than doctors!

I left work early yesterday with a slamming head cold and a throbbing tension headache from some stupid stuff that would make Dilbert proud. Went home and slept two hours, woke up for dinner with the family (my wife's homemade spaghetti and meatballs ;) ), and went downstairs to finish spinnin' some Christmas presents.

By golly you know that two hours later I had a pile of shavings and gifts ready for lacquer?! All that plus my head had cleared somewhat and work didn't seem so stupid! :D Now today I'm at work persevering through what was bugging me yesterday but lookin' forward to getting home and spinnin' some more.

Some folks pay good money to "experts" to get the rejuvenation I got yesterday.

Life is good! :cool2:

Charlie
You are absolutely correct. My woodturning card says 'Sawdust is better than Prozac'. And it is probably true that without my turning hobby/obsession I would require the services of a mental health professional.

Glad today is a better day.

Frank

When I go to my own "happy place" it does involve my shop and the smell of sawdust, I fully understand! Even among various woodworkers it seems turners are the happiest, must be the staring at the blur of the spinning wood? :p

Website
www.artisticwoods.com
I think we are the happiest lot of wood workers because we get the dust, the shavings, the joy of making things fit together, pretty forms that look nice as well as finished projects in a few hours, where regular wood butchers take days and days to get an end result with square edges!! That is why I love turning - instant gratification and curves!

Ray

Sky

Yes, turning is great therapy. When ever I don't feel up or am just moody I go to my studio and spin a piece of Camphor wood. Smells like Vicks Vapor Rub. Just a couple minutes & I'm good to go. I save the shavings and put a bag full on the dash of my pick up for the full aroma therapy effect.

Amen to all of these. Turning requires enough concentration to distract from almost all of our woes. Add the instant satisfaction of making something, even if it's only a pile of shavings and a perfectly round piece of firewood. Excellent therapy.

Joe

Back