• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

St. Paul Gathering

Well, our first trip was a joy. While we only attended the trade show and gallery we learned a ton and came away with too many ideas.

It was nice seeing the big "names" in turning and seeing they walk like the rest of us with their feet firmly on the ground. :)

If you went what did you enjoy most?

How was the site compared to others you've been to?

Someone mentioned the silent auction prices paid were a little low and have been for the past couple of years. Did you find that to be the case too?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Dave F.

Dave this was my second, the first was in New Mexico in 09.
As for the prices being low, just take a look at the ecomony. Lots of folks out of work, spending on what they need to keep the family fed.
I was lead to believe that the Rivercenter was across the street from the Crowne Plaza, not four blocks down the street. The walk didn't hurt me and the weather was great (compared to what I have here at home).
Overall I had a wonderful time, made it home safe and am now thinking about the one that goes on in Texas and a trip down there.

This was my first national symposium. Had a great time, the worst part was coming home with all these ideas and inspiration, and then having to go back to work instead of to the lathe. Especially after being around so many positive and creative people and the very opposite at work. As far as the auction prices, the prices were even lower than the auction prices at our "Turn On Chicago" Symposuim last September. I felt bad for many of the artists.

Every month, I really look forward to our local club meeting just to see the work that people bring, talk turning and wood, and pick up new ideas, techniques, tips, etc. The trip to St. Paul was all of that and more, but on a huge (almost overwhelming) scale.

I probably should've picked up my registration materials Thur night and done more "homework" to really choose where I was going and what I wanted to see. I only changed rooms a couple of times, but it seemed like in any room, any topic, there was good stuff to take in. I ordered a just a few new tools and can't wait to try some new things.

I was a little surprised the auction items didn't go for more.

Mike Gibson

Recognized Professional Artist
Website
www.michaelgibsonwoodturner.homesteadcloud.com
This was our first National Symposium and it was Amazing!! We connected with so many folks we've been chatting with online and made lots of new friends. Mike and I really enjoyed the demos, were asked to demo at a symposium next year and are trading work with a few folks we really admire!!!! One of the highlights of our trip was our last evening. Dinner with Douglas Fisher, Jeffrey Greenwood, Tim Soutar, Cheryl Samuel, Rick Crawford, Jennifer Shirley, Clay Foster and Graeme Priddle was so energizing! We had a blast!!!
Cynthia

ps...oral auction bids were very low. It was sad.

Last edited:
This was my first trip to an AAW symposium. Why did I wait so long to come to one?

The quality of the rotations, trade shows, Instant Gallery were all tremendous.

Like others, I thought some of the auction prices were a bit low but the economy is tight so that may be the reason.

The event was well worth the time and effort to get to St. Paul from England.

David

Back