• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stephen Blakley

Hello everyone. I am Steve and live on Long Island, NY. I am retired from NYC Transit (Subways) for many years now and my interests are golf, golf, golf and then woodworking. I mostly do wood carving, but dabble in scroll work and turning. I have very little interest in furniture making. I belong to the Long Island Woodworkers and the Suffolk County Woodcarvers Guild.....none of them meeting in person now because of the pandemic. I have made some segmented bowls using the Segeasy wedges and a home made sled. I joined yesterday to try to learn more about open segmented turning and am trying to find the forum in which it resides. Currently I am trying to decide which path to take to make the open segmented bowls: the Segeasy process or the Indexing wheel process. Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached two pictures. The one with me in it is a class I took with AAW member Peter Schultheiss who used to live on Long Island. The second picture is a cherry bowl I made recently on my own.

Segmented Workshop 5f real final.jpg for aaw.jpg

Thanks for listening!

Welcome. Many do segmented turnings. Good place to learn. Used to live in Queens. Ever tackle the 18 holes at Bethpage's Black course?

Hello John! I used to live in Middle Village in Queens and then moved next to St. Johns University in Queens. Yes, when I was much, much younger I used to play the Black at Bethpage 3 days a week. I was working evenings (3P-11P or 4P-12M) and would be at Bethpage Monday, Wednesday and Friday to wait on line to play. That was before the first US Open and when nobody wanted to play the Black. Now I can no longer walk the golf courses and play with an electric golf cart at Cherry Creek in Riverhead, where I have been a member for 19 years (since I retired).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Stephen.

We don't have a sub-forum specifically dedicated to segmented turning. There are so many facets to woodturning that I don't believe that it is a good idea to parse the forum into a large number of specialty sub-forums. There might be a forum somewhere on the Internet that specializes in segmented turning, but I am not aware of it. There is a lot of common ground in all aspects of woodturning and there are many threads on segmented turning. You can type the word "segment" in the search box as shown below and you will get 200 results (for some reason the software has a built-in limit of 200 results).

search.jpg

The forum gallery has a number of recently uploaded images of segmented work. Here are links to some of the most recent segmented turnings:

Dizzy Eggs

First Dizzy Bowl

Second Dizzy Bowl

A Bowl for Lee (outside) A Bowl for Lee (inside)

Odd Number Pattern (outside) Odd Number Pattern (inside)

Vortex Coin Bank (normal view) Vortex Coin Bank (top view)

Aztec Influenced Open Segmented Basket

Shaman Eyes Hollow Form

Wife's Christmas Gift (Open Segmented Bowl)

Very Hexy

Solitude

Website
www.aioncompany.com
Hello everyone. I am Steve and live on Long Island, NY. I am retired from NYC Transit (Subways) for many years now and my interests are golf, golf, golf and then woodworking. I mostly do wood carving, but dabble in scroll work and turning. I have very little interest in furniture making. I belong to the Long Island Woodworkers and the Suffolk County Woodcarvers Guild.....none of them meeting in person now because of the pandemic. I have made some segmented bowls using the Segeasy wedges and a home made sled. I joined yesterday to try to learn more about open segmented turning and am trying to find the forum in which it resides. Currently I am trying to decide which path to take to make the open segmented bowls: the Segeasy process or the Indexing wheel process. Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached two pictures. The one with me in it is a class I took with AAW member Peter Schultheiss who used to live on Long Island. The second picture is a cherry bowl I made recently on my own.

View attachment 36729 View attachment 36730

Thanks for listening!
nice work Stephen and I just joined this forum today.
I'm looking forward to having a new community of friends.
here's a picture of what I enjoy playing with although I also make a myriad of things

Attachments

• +Bowl .Mixed Hardwoods 0975, 6 1:2 Dia x 3 1:2 Deep, .jpg
    +Bowl .Mixed Hardwoods 0975, 6 1:2 Dia x 3 1:2 Deep, .jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 10
Back