• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steve Chu

3EEBF0E3-3443-4A32-9166-BCC9FAC34009.jpeg i never got woodshop in high school, so I’m trying to make up for lost time. I actually had to clean and organize my golf cart sized mini garage workshop space to fit the 12” lathe about two months ago. Primarily I make sawdust but I’m aiming for bowls and boxes.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi @Carl Mazzocco welcome to the AAW forum. I hope you also take a few minutes to introduce yourself to the forum. Use your username as the thread title.

If you want to see the introductions of other members the list can be easily searched by clicking on the word TITLE on the blue heading bar on the index page of the Introductions forum. Usernames are alphabetized by first name (because the username is a single word even though there is usually a space between first and last names). You will find a few variations in usernames such as first and last names concatenated when there are two members with the same name. There are also some members with cryptic usernames who were grandfathered in when we started requiring real names about nine years ago.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum,
Your story is a little like mine. I was fascinated by the lathe in high school but first year students were not allowed to use the lathe and I only took first year shop. After we moved into our first house I took adult education shop to make some furniture. I got the teacher to show me how to use the lathe.

AAW offers many learning opportunities for woodturning.
If you have not already done so connect with a local chapter of AAW.
They welcome visitors and offer many learning opportunities.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters

Check out the guest membership - some publications are available.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/GuestMemberLanding

You tube has the good the bad and the ugly. Consider searching first the
Videos screened by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
http://aawvideosource.org/

Also this forum has the tips and techniques with quite a few project oriented threads.

Last edited:
Back