• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steve Conant

Hello- I have been a weekend wood worker and have recently retired making everyday Saturday! I am looking to upgrade my lathe from my circa 1955 Craftsman model. The two models in contention are the Laguna 1216 and the Jet 1221 vs. After agonizing over these two (and considering what I am using now ) I have concluded it isn't going to matter which one I get; however, if anyone has a red flag regarding warranty, customer service or other issue with either model please reply. I will mostly be turning spindles until I figure out how to turn bowls. I am looking forward to being part of this forum and picking up insights-thank you in advance for your ideas.

You can see my tool which is about my age and why I feel either machine will be an upgrade.
1648504942760.png

1648505045742.png

I have a laguna 12/16, had it for maybe 2 years, doesn't get used a ton, I have a bigger lathe I mostly use. Good machine, good quality, haven't had any issues. I'd love to try a jet but I've yet to see any available in canada.

Welcome to the forum, Steven!
As mentioned, both of those lathes would be great choices. I have a Laguna 1836, and I've only ever needed customer support twice and they went above and beyond both times. Of course, I can't compare with Jet since I have no experience with them. Only that Laguna has been great.

Thank you all for your replies. I would look at a used machine, but they are few and far between here in Houston. Glad all the comments were positive as it gives me confidence there is no bad decision to be made hear. Leaning towards the Laguna 1216 with an extension. Will probably make s stand and take that money to spend on a chuck. So my next question is what are your thoughts on a chuck? It seems like they all have similar design and specifications so one brand will work universally on any lathe. Are there any traps here concerning compatibility? Your favorite? Again, thank you all in advance for any insights.

Welcome. As for chuck traps, the main one is buying a direct thread chuck sized for your lathe that wont fit the spindle on your next lathe. I prefer chucks with inserts that can be changed out.

Typically different mfr jaws are not interchangeable, an exception is Nova and Record Power. Nova jaws I think fit any size Nova chuck (some big ones do not). Some mfrs jaws do not fit larger/smaller chucks.

The next few are tough for a new guy. You dont really know what the future holds - all the things you may turn.

Choose the type of jaw design desired - dovetail, serrated, or Oneway profiled. They all work, and their are opinions on all sides. Oneway chuck website has diagrams showing difference for serrated vs profiled. I prefer their profiled jaws.

Prefer tenon or mortice? Nova has good jaw selection for mortice, limited for tenon. Depends by mfr. I use tenons most of the time.

Good selection of jaws. Depending on the project jaw types/sizes can simplify or improve the project. It will take a while but eventually you will want various jaw types and you dont want to have to buy a new chuck. Many varying options and opinions on this.

Good idea to get a chuck with a set screw to hold it onto the spindle. There are 2 sides to this one, but if its there you have a choice. I use them because I have had chucks come off.

Doug- thank you for your thoughts on chucks. I think the Nova, Record Power and Oneway jaws are all interchangeable on their chucks. Turning is starting to look like that empty money pit hobbies can fall into! I will go look at the Oneway website to see the different profiles. Thanks again.

Doug- thank you for your thoughts on chucks. I think the Nova, Record Power and Oneway jaws are all interchangeable on their chucks. Turning is starting to look like that empty money pit hobbies can fall into! I will go look at the Oneway website to see the different profiles. Thanks again.
Oneway Stronghold jaws will not fit the Talon or Oneway tommy bar chucks and vice versa.

Turning can easily become a $ pit. Most accessories are not required, they just make things easier/quicker etc. Just depends on your tolerance for time vs $’s in a lot of cases. Most (including me) consider a chuck almost a necessity but it isnt

You are correct, I was off on the Oneway. I think it is the Sorby Patriot jaws that work. In any event, I am looking for either the Nova or Record Power Chuck which seem to be very close in manufacture. I realize the chucks aren't necessary, but I think they are worth the money.

In my introduction I showed the old craftsman I have now. I plan to get a midi lathe, likely the Laguna 1216, and something like the Record Power SC3 or 4 and then fit my projects to my tools for awhile. I hope to get proficient enough to force me to buy additional gear in the future! Thank you again for your comments and advice.

On a side note, I see the OSU image in your reply. The lathe I have came from my father-in-law's estate. He graduated from Oklahoma A&M too and ended up teaching Industrial Art for 50 years.

I would use the sc3 not the sc4 on the 12/16 unless you're planning on outboard turning items bigger than what fits inboard. It's plenty for what that lathe will do.

Alright, let the spending begin! I settled on the Laguna 1216 after warranty discussions with the seller. Now comes the inevitable “need” for accessories. Thank you again for all your replies and assistance. I look forward to learning more about turning from the association

I haven't seen any reference to Vicmark - my personal preference. Quality is in line with Oneway but I much prefer the Allen type chuck key to the geared insert type that Oneway uses. Re jaws, I prefer dovetail "hands down".

Back