• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steve Krumanaker

Not a new turner but new to this forum. I've been turning about six years now, give or take. I like to turn everything from tops to bowls to ornaments. Recently I've been exploring hollow forms(small) and embellishing with pyrography. Also an AAW member and a member of the Northeast Indiana turners and chiselers.
Thanks

Steve Krumanaker

Steve,

Nice work on the hollow forms and shading techniques, takes patience and skill to do cutting and shading effects like that.
Do you have a preference for the high speed tools you use for cutting and piercing the wood?
I am looking for a higher speed tool then the ones I am currently am using.

Mike

Steve,

Nice work on the hollow forms and shading techniques, takes patience and skill to do cutting and shading effects like that.
Do you have a preference for the high speed tools you use for cutting and piercing the wood?

Mike
Mike
First of all, thank you. I am far from an expert on piercing and piercing tools, in fact, what I do know I learned watching youtube. I use one of the cheap knockoff NSK dental hand pieces you can get on ebay. Generally you can get one for less than 20 bucks shipped. Amazingly, the one I'm using has lasted for a couple years so I'm happy. A youtube search for "piercing on the cheap" will bring up a couple videos showing what I'm talking about. After the piercing I use an xacto knife to clean up.
Thanks again
Steve

Not a new turner but new to this forum. I've been turning about six years now, give or take. I like to turn everything from tops to bowls to ornaments. Recently I've been exploring hollow forms(small) and embellishing with pyrography. Also an AAW member and a member of the Northeast Indiana turners and chiselers.
Thanks

Steve Krumanaker

Steve Glad you made it in. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Steve,

Mike

Mike you can get a NSK brand right angle on ebay for under $20. A friend whod has the expensive NSK straight says the right angle is more comfortable to use.

Steve Glad you made it in. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Mike you can get a NSK brand right angle on ebay for under $20. A friend whod has the expensive NSK straight says the right angle is more comfortable to use.

Thank you Gerald.
I agree with you about the right angle hand piece. I don't own one of the high dollar prestos but I have used one, they are shaped like a fat pen. I am not steady with my hands at all so I need both hands on the tool. It's much easier to do that with the right angle version.
Steve

Back