• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steve Urback

Hello, all. I have dabbled in woodworking my whole life, a hope chest and a baby changing table during younger years, as well as lots of carving in basswood, like chains, balls in cages and small figures. I have had a Shopsmith for many years and have done minimal turning. In January, 2019, I purchased a Oneway 1640 through Alan Lacer after I saw a demo of his online, and visited his shop for a couple of days of one-on-one training. I don't have the talent of Heather or the skill yet to produce the work I see displayed on this site and others, but hope to spend a lot more time at it, once I retire in the not so distant future.
I am turning some small bowls for my staff for this holiday season. One is a natural edge bowl of holly, and half of the bark came off completely during the drying process. I like the look of the edge that is debarked. Is there a method for removing the bark that did not naturally come free without altering the edge below?
Thanks, Steve

Welcome Steve! I have been exploring natural edge bowls lately, and the latest was from a piece of Mugo Pine, after getting most of the way through the bark stated chipping off. I just pulled the rest off with my fingers, and bits of wood that came with the bark were not a problem as I proceeded to just file the edge down to a last row of intact grain.

Attachments

• 8A8340EE-F35E-4E02-B65B-B15FB5A2BF36.jpeg
    8A8340EE-F35E-4E02-B65B-B15FB5A2BF36.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 5
Hello, all. I have dabbled in woodworking my whole life, a hope chest and a baby changing table during younger years, as well as lots of carving in basswood, like chains, balls in cages and small figures. I have had a Shopsmith for many years and have done minimal turning. In January, 2019, I purchased a Oneway 1640 through Alan Lacer after I saw a demo of his online, and visited his shop for a couple of days of one-on-one training. I don't have the talent of Heather or the skill yet to produce the work I see displayed on this site and others, but hope to spend a lot more time at it, once I retire in the not so distant future.
I am turning some small bowls for my staff for this holiday season. One is a natural edge bowl of holly, and half of the bark came off completely during the drying process. I like the look of the edge that is debarked. Is there a method for removing the bark that did not naturally come free without altering the edge below?
Thanks, Steve
Hello Steve! I am new around here, too. I have yet to try my hand at a natural edge piece, and I look forward to seeing your efforts.

Welcome aboard . Natural edge is a toss up. You can soak the cambium layer while turning with CA and then the excess CA is turned away but even this is no guarantee on bark adhesion. Now once it starts massively coming off the decision is do I want to glue some bark on or remove all ? One thing I have used to remove the bark is to pry gently with a chisel at the edge where the adjoining bark came off. A trick to add a look is to color the edge with sharpie once all bark off.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Steve.

Super thin CA is usually very good if you want to keep the bark. Removing the bark is usually easy while the wood is still green and becomes increasingly difficult as the wood dries.

Back