• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steven Reighn

Hello,
I am from Bucks County PA and now live in S FL. I have only been woodworking for about two years as a weekend hobby and am now becomming interested in wood turning as a way to use some of my shorter pieces. I am looking to purchase a Laguna Revo 12/16 lathe and was wondering if that is a good choice. I do not see me ever going bigger than that. I look forward to learning from this forum and definatly looking for the best tool recomandations from professionals.

Thanks,
Steve R

Thanks, Gerald
I am planning on joining my local club as soon as work slows down a bit. I think I am pretty set on buying the Laguna Revo 12/16 Midi lathe. I barley have any room for it but I will make it work. I am probably 3 months away from getting it atm. March is a new table saw, April is more wood, and May is the lathe, hopefully. I am a chef in Palm beach and only get a day off a week so time flies. After April I will have more time to play.
Thanks for the introduction.
Steve

Welcome to the forum. Many of us started with the midi or mini lathes. I had a the mini lathes (10X14 I think) and turned a loth of small things for a couple of years. I may have lasted another year if I had the midi lathe with a 12” swing. Brought a PM 90, then the Laguna 18-36. I never thought I would have a Robust, but now I have the Robust AB. If I started with the Robust Scout I may have never upgraded.

Thank you for your help. trying to find honest unbias reviews about equipment is tough. My next question is what is one of the best 8" jointers out there? Again I was thinking of going with a 8" hellical head from Laguna. I never heard of Robust before joining this group so now I am questioning my own homework that I have been doing on the internet.
Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum. Many of us started with the midi or mini lathes. I had a the mini lathes (10X14 I think) and turned a loth of small things for a couple of years. I may have lasted another year if I had the midi lathe with a 12” swing. Brought a PM 90, then the Laguna 18-36. I never thought I would have a Robust, but now I have the Robust AB. If I started with the Robust Scout I may have never upgraded.
I just figured out how much the Scout would cost. I might have to start with the Laguna 12/16. I have never turned befre so this would at least get me learning for the next year until I can make that purchase.
Thank You!

Website
www.ovwg.org
Thank you for your help. trying to find honest unbias reviews about equipment is tough. My next question is what is one of the best 8" jointers out there? Again I was thinking of going with a 8" hellical head from Laguna. I never heard of Robust before joining this group so now I am questioning my own homework that I have been doing on the internet.
Thanks again.
Laguna is a good choice, maybe a Oliver jointer could be considered too. If you need a planer though get a Woodmaster. We have one and it has a 5HP Baldor Reliance motor, 250lb weight for the 12 inch model and is 100% made and materials sourced in USA! It is one unbreakable beast that rumbles the shop floor when you hit the start button!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Laguna is a good choice, maybe a Oliver jointer could be considered too. If you need a planer though get a Woodmaster. We have one and it has a 5HP Baldor Reliance motor, 250lb weight for the 12 inch model and is 100% made and materials sourced in USA! It is one unbreakable beast that rumbles the shop floor when you hit the start button!
Hmm beast like that, I'd suspect if they didn't wanna pay the premium for Robust or OneWay, I doubt they'd be spending nearly the same again (or more) on a planer or jointer like you mention... in which case, for the budget conscious, I'd say Jet, Laguna both are pretty decent brands (if not identical manufacturer) that are not "El-Cheapo" quality.. I'd guess the biggest differentiator is the "service after the sale" , which I believe I have read elsewhere in these forums that Jet's would be better...

I just figured out how much the Scout would cost. I might have to start with the Laguna 12/16. I have never turned befre so this would at least get me learning for the next year until I can make that purchase.
Thank You!
Totally understand. Very, very few turners start with a top of the line lathe. I didn’t. Started with a mini Delta 10 X 14. Well really a Shopsmith, but don’t count that as a real lathe. Used the midi for several years and then bought a PM 90 at a school auction. The PM 90 is a 12” swing and I ended up raising it to an 18” swing. However it didn’t have a sliding headstock and still had Reeves drive. It would have been another major expense to add a vfd, so I bought a Laguna 18-36 that I thought would be my last lathe. I was 70 at the time and decided I might as well get the Robust and really enjoy my remaining turning days. Never thought I would own a Robust, but the best purchase I ever made. My first turning tools were HF red handle tools and I still have a few I use today. My first chucks was the Barracuda and Barracuda 4. The Barracuda 4 was the worst chuck I ever owned. I still have the original Barracuda and once in a while it finds its way on the lathe. My tools now comprise of Thompson, D-Way, Sorby, and Crown. It takes time and $$ to accumulate things. That said, I have seen turners who have the HF lathe and cheap tools turn some of the most outstanding work. Take your time and learn, a club is a good place and most clubs have turners of various skill levels. For me it is rewarding to take a piece of wood that could have been firewood and make something unique and useful. Enjoy the journey.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Hmm beast like that, I'd suspect if they didn't wanna pay the premium for Robust or OneWay, I doubt they'd be spending nearly the same again (or more) on a planer or jointer like you mention... in which case, for the budget conscious, I'd say Jet, Laguna both are pretty decent brands (if not identical manufacturer) that are not "El-Cheapo" quality.. I'd guess the biggest differentiator is the "service after the sale" , which I believe I have read elsewhere in these forums that Jet's would be better...
Yes Jet is fine. Makes sense, start with the lathe before dishing out on the extras. Just wanted to say those two machines are the Robust of planers and jointers.

Back