• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sthawes

Hello to all,

I picked up a hobby lathe (Rigid 12x36) last summer from a guy who was terminally ill, it sat most of the warm days collecting dust but now that things are cold, slick, and not much fun outside, I've picked up the bowl turning bug.

Everything so far have been junks of wood laying around my property, but I'm gaining experience from turning cedar and a mistery wood that I think maybe walnut.

A partner of mine at work found some interesting projects for lamination bowls on-line and I tried this and liked my first attempt at cutting a bowl out of a board via a bandsaw, stacking, and turning a bowl. I'll include some pictures with this thread. :)
When cutting the smallest semi-circle out of a hardwood like pecan, my bandsaw was complaining loud enough to start smoking the 1/8" blade. I started looking for another way to cut these "cone circles" without using a bandsaw.:confused:
I found an old portable drill press stand for using a hand-drill that I had picked up at a fleemarket for $5 and installed a Rotozip, rotary cutter in place of the drill, mounted to my toolrest plate and steadied by the tailstock, I found it to be very stable and did a fine job of cutting the cones.

I sent along my second attempt at making a "stacked" bowl, everyone loves it but I know I have a long way to go to getting some near the level of most of what I've seen posted on this forum.:cool2:
I appreciate becoming a member and love to hear from fellow turners, especially tips on finishing, I've got alot to learn. looking forward to turning some more pieces, see ya.;)

Attachments

• PICT0001_edited.JPG
    PICT0001_edited.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    460.8 KB · Views: 80
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If your mystery wood is represented in photo number three.......I think You're right! It looks like walnut to me, too.

Don't know what kind of input you're looking for with regards to finishing, but Danish oil natural is a favorite of mine. It's easy to apply and difficult to mess up! Most any home improvement outlet will likely have it.

I see you have a creative instinct, and put that to use using materials and supplies on hand......

ooc

Thanks Odie,

I have been using the Danish Oils, I just have had some problems getting some of my end-grains to seal, but I'm working on that.

I appreciate your comments....:)

Back