• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

String Steady Jig

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
I built some jigs to hold slender turnings using string and was wondering if anyone has a better way or idea to do the same type of thing. This one seems to work for the long slender turnings.
I just started turning in March so I still consider myself a newbe at this. I have more pictures of this jig on my web site. Actually there are alot of pictures of what I have been doing on the lathe.
http://www.scrollsaws.com

Attachments

• Strin2.jpg
    Strin2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 606
Rick,

I spent a delightful hour or so browsing your web site. I spent a lot of time viewing scroll saw related stuff before I made it down to your lathe work. (I liked the scroll saw info, but I prefer the other.) For a newbie, I can only say, "Wow!" You've turned a lot of stuff. Over 400 hundred boxes? From what I could tell from the pictures, it's all quality work. I think you've lost your newbie status.

Impressive string steady, Rick. Have you tried wrapping the string lightly around the piece before setting it? Higher risk of burn but more stability.

From that spindle, looks like you're doing fine though.

Welcome to the forum,
Dietrich

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
String Rest

I have not had any problem with the string burning the wood. Some I have started with just a few inches of wood out of the chuck then as I advance the wood, after turning and finishing a section, out I put the string rest on to stabalize it. On the picture I put the rests on backwards to get the string to the wood, the tool rest banjo kept me from sliding the string jig in closer the right direction.

String Steady

That looks great. I have seen string steadies described elsewhere but I like the open sided design of yours a lot.

On another subject, I have been trying to find your site again since I lost a ton of email in a crash at home. You were kind enough to give me some very helpful info on an old New Rogers scroll saw and I wanted to say thanks very much. I still have not sold it yet if you might be interested. I also have an old Companion oil driven saw and a similar vintage small Companion bandsaw. Conditions on these 2 Companions is not great though. Not turning related but I have been trying to find you for a while now.

Don

The string you are using looks like Jute. Is it? Or what is it? I would think the wrong material would tend to burn or score the wood.

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
String

I used what the package calls Twisted Nylon Twine. Used for things like Seine Twine, Plumb Line,Draw String,Chalk line, it also is size 21 210 lb. test.
I have not had any problems with the string marking the wood or the finish. I think because it is not wrapped or tied around the wood. It is pulled tight, but the wood really only rubs on one small section in 4 places.
This will not work for a tailstock hold on the wood, it is jut to lightly hold those long thin projects that tend to whip when the lathe is running. If you need a rock solid hold you still need to use the tailstock.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Creative thinking, Rick....

If it works, which it looks like it does, your ingenuity has solved a dilemma for anyone who does long thin spindle work. I don't do spindle work very often, but I could have used something like that when the Harry Potter craze was going full tilt!.....had a co-worker come to me and ask for a "magic wand" for his son's birthday. I did it, it turned out pretty good, but I was hampered by the whip of the long thin piece.

Your intricate scroll work is outstanding!

Keep up the good work.

....odie

Last edited:

Sky

In Kansas City at the AAW symposium last year a guy from France (I think) did a demo on tall thin (1/8th " thick) turnings up to 36" tall called Trembleurs. He used a similar string steady where the string was waxed and wrapped around the piece. He had a certain pattern of wrapping that worked very well. I don't remember his name.

Most likely Jean-Francois Escoulen. When you see him using the bedan turning long, thin objects, you will be humbled. An extremely nice person to take a class from.

Gordon

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
String Saedy

Jean Francois recommneds that you use a waxed sting for the steady. If it builds any heat the wax is there to lubricate it. I think that you can either wax your own or try a supply house that can supply it all ready waxed. Most laether workers will know where to find waxed twine. It is what they use for hand stitching.

A

Website
www.lavieenbois.com
Hi Sky,
I have shown the way I do this on my website, and explain the wrapping:
http://www.lavieenbois.com/tournage/frame_tour_eng.htm and select "trembleur" in the left menu.
you need to make "turns" (actually half turn) around the piece so that the rest is effective, I believe that's what can be improved to your (otherwise very well done) setup.
hope this helps,

Pascal

Very cool website

Pascal,

Thanks for the link to your website. It contains a wealth of information.

Pretty ingenious; and I wonder:

Have you tried (or experimented) placing adjustable dampening rings to "pinch" the strings at a point nearer to the workpiece to further enhance the anti-whip qualities of this tool?

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
String Steady

I have not tried pinching the string yet. So far I have used it for very small , but long, turnings and the way I show it has worked just great to stop that whipping of the end of the work. But I will sure keep that idea in mind if I use it for larger work. Thanks.

Sky said:
In Kansas City at the AAW symposium last year a guy from France (I think) ... I don't remember his name.

Might have been Jean-Francois Escoulen.

Back