• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sundstrom SR-500/570

H06-6612_001_300x.png
Well,I pulled the trigger on a new Sundstrom SR-500 respirator with the 570 helmet/facesheild. When I get it in and get a chance to put it through its paces, I will post a review. Stay tuned...

Well actually now that you ask,

I found the top or crown strap of the headband dug into my scalp after a few hours, so I wrapped it with a small sheet of Foamy.

I bought and use the sacrificial visor cover. I believe Ken Rizza sells these one at a time so, if you are ordering, be aware how many you're are buying. That said I've been running it since Raleigh and am still on the first visor cover and the original filters.

This is true for any apparatus with a waist belt, but be mindful of the tails. Once you have it sinched you'll want to make sure the tails are not dangling where they could become entangled with spinning machinery. The belt has two clips that hold the left and right tails, but I found these worked better when I flipped them so the tail loaded from above rather than from below.

I received delivery of the Sundstrom SR-500 with 570 helmet/faceshield this past Saturday. I used it in my shop for about 3 hours on Monday. I am impressed for sure! The system has as good filtration as anything out there on the market, and Sundstrom has been manufacturing respirator products for the mining and heavy industrial businesses for over a century. Their products are innovative to say the least.
I can tell this system is high quality.

I have used the Trend Airshield- Pro for 7 years now, and have two of them, one new in the box, as my first one seems to be going strong still. The SR-570 faceshield/helmet is lightweight, has a really wide field of view, and the faceshield will pivot up, and easily accommodates wearing glasses underneath. Airflow has two speeds......I tried both, and the low setting seems to put more air over the face than my Trend...at least it feels that way, as the seal around the face is much better than the Trend.

The filtration unit has replaceable filters, much less expensive than the Trend AS-P, and is worn on the waist with a tube going up the back to the rear of the helmet. Connections are secure, and much less strain on the neck than the Trend....I always did well with the Trend, and never knew how much I would notice the lighter weight of this SR-570 helmet. Especially when bending forward to pick up something, or leaning over the lathe bed for certain cuts. The unit came with one overlay which clips to the side pieces on the faceshield, not sticks to it with sticky strips like the Trend, which means a lot greater opportunity for cleaning the overlay as well as the faceshield without the sticky residue...to my mind both a money saver, and easily maintained optical clarity, which is crystal clear when the unit came in new. maintaining it should be a breeze, and new overlays, faceshield lens, and all other parts are available, replaceable as part of a modular system if they were ever needed. This unit is built strong, so unless some unexpected damage occurs, then only the consumables should ever be needed, like replacement filters, pre-filters and the overlays. Another big feature is that for those who want filtration of vapor hazards, this system allows one to add vapor cartridges to the particulate cartridges for filtration of vapors when finishing, and of course dust particulates at a small price.

The sturdiness/strength of the helmet and unit are obvious when one compares to the Trend [which I like, btw] but is in a different class in build. The lithiom battery pack will last 13 hours on a full charge, and tucks neatly into the back worn filtration unit. Assembly is not hard. I did put the pre-filters in the wrong place on my assembly, but corrected it after viewing a great instructional video on youtube on the SR-500 unit. I can say I am pleased to recommend this unit to any turner who wants premium breathing protection. I purchased from Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders, and his customer service was superb, and his black Friday price was the best I had ever seen on this unit anywhere. I saved nearly $800 from what a 3-M Versaflo system would have cost me, and have every bit as good filtration to protect my lungs.

As I mentioned earlier in my original post, I would do a review, so as others might benefit from this personal understanding from getting and using the unit.

The unit comes with a charger, which has a liight that goes from orange, to yellow, to green depending on the level of charge, and plugs into the battery pack once taken out of the back unit. Easy, peasy.

Last edited:
After a number of additional projects under my belt, using the SR-500/570 respirator, I can report that I am VERY happy with this unit. I think the ease of breathing with this unit is way better than my Trend AS-Pro. I use it on the low fan setting, as that setting provides more airflow over my face than the Trend unit. Today, I worked about 7 hours in the shop, and 6 of those I wore the SR-500, and the last hour for comparison, I put on the Trend Airsheild Pro. Quite a difference in the comfort, the noticeable air quality, and I currently have over 11 hours on this battery charge, and there is no loss of power on the fan speed, or function of the unit. Impressive in my book!

Just sharing for the benefit of others who might be interested in the Sundstrom SR-500 with 570 helmet.

it was his "Black Friday" Sale........$1049.00 He may have gotten a special promotional price from the manufacturer to be able to do that on a certain quantity of units. I don't know that, just speculating, and knowing how wholesale/retail works. I do know it was the best price I had encountered to date, and decided no better opportunity was likely to present itself. I really like the SR-500/570 combo.

I just ordered some additional filters/pre-filters and visor overlays to have on hand.

I was curious about what you paid due to you stating the Sundstrom was $800 less than the 3m Versaflow and looking at Ken’s price of $1289. Its been a couple of years since I looked but Versaflow systems were ~$1300. There are so many Versaflow configurations it takes some study time to sort through it all. At that time there was not a configuration as a total system that was just what I wanted. I was able to piece together everything for ~ $850 mainly by finding some new open box type offers on ebay.

Sounds like the systems are very comparable. I dont have any issues with the “sticky stuff” with the shield overlays. Looks like the replacement filter for the Sundstrom are a bit cheaper to buy. After 2 years Im still using the original particulate and prefilters so its not a big consumable cost. I vacuum the filter out occasionally and I think that helps. While the systems are expensive I think the protection and comfort provided vs cheaper alternatives is worth it.

The versaflow unit I was wanting would have been over $1900 with shipping. 3-M also was having issues with supply/backorders due to pandemic buying of institutions. The SR-500 is every bit as good in filtration from what I have read, but I'm not an expert on filtration ratings. The replacement filters are around $15, and the Trend Airshield Pro $65 for the pair unless one can catch an ebay special from time to time. I like doing business with Ken Rizza...he's always treated me right.

Back