• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sweetgum pods

We have a Sweetgum tree and every season it covers the front yard in prickly pods. This year I noticed they look a lot like the coronavirus so I collected a bunch and plan to cast and turn them. When they first fall they are hard, heavy and closed. These are all open, with large seed cavities exposed, really dry, and brittle.

Anyone worked with these before? I plan to run them through the dehydrator to make sure they are dry enough for casting. And I don't *think* I need to stabilize them first since they will be in resin. My main doubt is whether the resin will be too viscous to enter the pores and solidify the interior of the pods.

I have a couple gallon bucket full of them so I can make several tries but any advice that can save me a bad batch is appreciated.

wholepod.jpg

Fortunately, those open voids appear to be only at the exterior. The inside is actually quite hard to cut into even with a new X-Acto blade.

splitpod.jpg

Thanks, Gary! That's encouraging. I'll plan to stabilize and was going to use the pressure pot anyway. Can't wait to see what these look like! (Actually, I can. I have to churn through the queue of family pen requests first. o_O)

Back