• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Symposium Access

Will those that paid the in person Symposium attendance have access to the same demonstrations as virtual for 90 days? Or different set of videos.

Last edited:
I think they are separate. You have to sign up for the virtual part to see the recordings I THINK...

If I'm wrong please correct..
Well that would suck. (I'm hoping you're wrong) It seems like if we pay to actually be there and be a part of the whole thing, we should be able to also see the recordings of segments we miss.

I haven’t found any list, only a statement with access to “selected demonstrations”. it would be nice to have a list so I can plan the ones I want to attend in person.

Last edited:
I haven’t found any list, only a statement with access to “selected demonstrations”. it would be nice to have a list so I can plan the ones I want to attend in person.
I saw the list on the AAW home page. When you click on the “symposium” tab you can choose the “virtual option” and it lists the demonstrations.

John, I saw that list, but it indicates it is for those who sign up for the “virtual" version. I am wondering if its is the same list for the “paid” attendance.

Along the same lines, does anyone know if the symposium "book" (with notes and materials from the presentations) will be available for the virtual attendees? I'm guessing No, but thought I'd ask...

I wrote a quick email to member services asking about if it's included. :cool:

AAW Memberservices​

3:46 PM (10 minutes ago)
to me
Dear Pete,

Registered attendees will have access to the virtual event also. More information will be coming.

My best,

Jane Charbonneau
Administrative Assistant
AAW

Symposium book is on the app.

I figured there was an app. I looked for AAW Symposium in Google Play store, but nothing. You have to get Guidebook app, then search for the symposium within that app. Has schedule, bios, local info, etc.

Alexa Calliguri

AAW Staff
Hi all, just wanted to clear up a few things: the recordings that virtual symposium attendees have access to will be the same as the recordings the in person attendees will have access to. The only difference is that the virtual attendees will be able to stream them live, and the in person attendees will not (since you'll be there to see them sans screens!). The virtual schedule on the website: https://www.aawsymposium.org/virtual will be the exact rotations you'll have access to recordings for later, so plan away :) The handout book will not be sent to virtual attendees, but most of the information in it is on the app. If you'd like a physical copy, they will be available for purchase after the symposium for $25. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Hi all, just wanted to clear up a few things: the recordings that virtual symposium attendees have access to will be the same as the recordings the in person attendees will have access to. The only difference is that the virtual attendees will be able to stream them live, and the in person attendees will not (since you'll be there to see them sans screens!). The virtual schedule on the website: https://www.aawsymposium.org/virtual will be the exact rotations you'll have access to recordings for later, so plan away :) The handout book will not be sent to virtual attendees, but most of the information in it is on the app. If you'd like a physical copy, they will be available for purchase after the symposium for $25. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hi Alexa, What App has the info? Please provide link.
Thanks

Does anyone know if the virtual symposium group discount is only good for 5 or 10 people or can we sign up 8
people at the 5 person price?

JD

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Does anyone know if the virtual symposium group discount is only good for 5 or 10 people or can we sign up 8
people at the 5 person price?

JD
Hi JD,
When I asked a similar question it was specifically for the 5 or 10. Note that if you buy the 10 for 8 people, it comes out to approx $85 each ($599/8) and you have two extra registrations to sell or donate.

Alexa Calliguri

AAW Staff
Hi JD,
When I asked a similar question it was specifically for the 5 or 10. Note that if you buy the 10 for 8 people, it comes out to approx $85 each ($599/8) and you have two extra registrations to sell or donate.
Yes, thank you Lance, that is correct. The packages can only be bought in groups of 5 or 10. You could buy a group of 5 and then 3 individual registrations, or do as Lance suggested and buy a group of 10 in case 2 others decide to join in later (they can be sold through Sunday at 12pm ET to get access to the replays), or donate them.

Looking forward to being there. My first symposium.
Any tips on how to choose - there are so many demonstrations! My interests will determine my choices to some degree I'm sure, but who are the "shouldn't miss" presenters?

Looking forward to being there. My first symposium.
Any tips on how to choose - there are so many demonstrations! My interests will determine my choices to some degree I'm sure, but who are the "shouldn't miss" presenters?
They are all good, but off the top of my head, I'd say you Derek Weidman is a definite must-see. His multi-axis creatures are incredible and I would guess there will never be anyone with that kind of 3D mind/vision and skills; pure lathe wizardry.

Derek is near me in Philadelphia. I've been meaning to catch up with him there.
I visited Emiliano on Maui, and I saw where Derek was there a bit later.

the Virtual symposium registration says "video tours of the gallery, exhibitions and tradeshow." Where? I've searched and cannot locate any of this...

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Any word on how long the Virtual site will be available?
I expected the replays to be available "soon" but since they are already on the check in site can we continue watching?

Has anyone who attended in-person found a way to access to the recordings yet? I haven't seen any links or received anything about how to view the sessions I missed.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
For the virtual attendees, we were told to continue using our initial sign-in.

Easiest path is \AAW Main site\symposium page\virtual sign-in

Haven't confirmed that is still active. Good Luck!!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
I found some photos and links on AAW, but they can only be viewed on Facebook or Instagram ... I don't do any of those!
Here is a link from Cindy's YouTube page. If none of these work, may be worth signing up with both YouTube and FaceBook. There is a world of info available on both. Also look at Vimeo, which has many AAW and turners (including many by Stuart Batty).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMKp4DJcxQ

Reminder: Most of the videos are available all summer, but Pat Carroll's and Helen Bailey's videos are only until July 14. (just a little over a week left) They both did an outstanding job with their demos. (or maybe I watched the very worst ones first?)

Back