• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tale of a Tailstock

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
The tailstock on my Stubby 1000 started misbehaving a while ago. I finally contacted Rod Caddeye, the owner of Omega Lathes, who told me what to do. The plate and the ratchet were both stripped, so I had to recut the threads. The threaded rod goes through three different places with a thread. I tried for three hours with my good friend Wayne Omura but couldn't get it to work. It looks simple, right? We finally surrendered and gave Rod a call. It was 11.30 am his time. He answered, and within minutes, we had the solution!! Tilt the headstock forward with all your might to put tension and be able to use the keep lock/ratchet to tighten it! Genius!! You must tighten the nut below a few times while ratcheting tight, or the nut could come off. It is a 2 man's job unless you can lift the end of the tailstock up with possibly a crane above the lathe.

Back