• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Teknatool

I can't say if something new may be going on, but historically, they are bad at responding to emails and good at answering the phone.

Not sure how you have tried to communicate with Teknatool but I recently found that submitting a question via their contact page on their form is the best way. They are slow, especially right now (but all companies seem to be). I think a week turnaround is about right for Teknatool and maybe other companies also. They did eventually resolve my problem correctly and usefully. I think you'd have to be having a real lucky streak to get them on the phone.

Thanks Randy,

I received a reply from Teknatool USA yesterday. Waiting for instructions on dismantling electronics to ship to Florida.

I had serious and sustained problems with Teknatool technical support for a period of about 6 months. I think their support department is just a handful of people in the US, and they don't seem to be well versed in their own technology. At the time I had my issues (Aug 2020-Feb 2021), the guy I eventually talked to on the phone a couple of times seemed to be wildly overworked and stressed out in a way I don't think I've ever seen before, and seemed to be way out of his element, repeatedly telling me he wasn't supposed to be in the position he was in, and didn't know how to fix my problems. It was very odd, the technical issues I had with my lathe took over 6 months to resolve ultimately requiring sending the whole thing back to them for repair. When I finally received it back, it was (still is) exhibiting a loud scraping and sometimes almost a grinding sound in the headstock. I never received any responses after that point.

I have written off Teknatool. Won't go near anything Nova or Teknatool again. I know some of their devices are good, people rave about their DVR, but Teknatool support is the worst I have ever experienced. Even with a DRV lathe or something, I would never want to interact with Teknatool support again. Infuriatingly frustrating, exceptionally disturbing, I concurrently feel angry about how they run their technical support department, and sad that their tech support people seem to be extremely frazzled and brain-fried and completely out of their element.

I have written off Teknatool. Won't go near anything Nova or Teknatool again.
Same here. Had a Nova DVR 2024 ... electro-static discharge blew the electronics out once, and stripped threads out of tailstock twice.

Thank You Jon and Gerald,
I have been able to get some diagnostic help from Chi in New Zealand. It seems that Teknatool New Zealand and Teknatool USA are under separate management. I have shipped my electronics off to Florida. I hope they can and will help fix my machine.
This started mid-November with no response to calls or e-mail. I never did get past the I'm not a robot routine on their web site.
I guess I'm wary of their' products, if you can't get support the quality or capabilities of the product don't matter.

Back