• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tenon Size

Somewhere in my learning journey I recall someone mentioning the size of a tenon in relation to bowl size when turning green wood. I have always gone with the bigger the better especially when coring. Is there a rule of thumb?

It can vary a lot, but I would consider 1/4 to be a bit minimal, 1/3 to be pretty good, and 1/2 to be overkill. Depends on the wood some what, and on your turning skills as well. One big catch can peel a 1/4 diameter one right off the chuck. Don't think that is possible with the 1/2 diameter tenon.

robo hippy

Using a ratio is an oversimplification. 3” diameter bowl with a 1:2 ratio for a tenon: I have seen many a catches take a piece airborne with a 1 1/2” tenon. Even with a 3” tenon.
Take a deep 12” bowl of 6” deep vs 12” that is 3” deep. Density/weight of wood also may impact a safe tenon size selection. All in all, I think “bigger is better” when your inexperienced or unsure of the physics.

There are 2 different aspects to tenons, just as there are 2 different aspects to turnings - diameter and depth.

When work starts extending further from the jaws, a larger tenon can help, but a longer tenon can help also. HF’s such as vases with L/D > ~1 or so I use tower type jaws with ~ 1” tenon length. These are typically endgrain and are not likely to break across the grain like face grain, but are more apt to vibrate or pull out, which the longer tenon resists.

As to large tenon dia limiting the piece design, it can can be accommodated. There are different approaches. Many times I start with a large tenon and end with a much smaller one, cutting the piece down in stages.

I think it's important to match the tenon size to your chuck jaws. If you open smaller jaws to grab a large tenon, you are only gripping by the corners of the jaws. The points dig in and like wedge can weaken your tenon. If the jaws are nearly closed, you have full contact all the way around. Same with a mortise, size it so the fully closed jaws just barely fit inside.

I like the idea of a simple ratio, but it seems pretty meaningless. It feels like it all goes out the window when you start thinking about hollow forms.

I use a 50 mm on smaller bowls and 100 mm on larger bowls. We had a master turner friend at our club that recently passed away that turned everything with a 50 mm tenon and never had a problem.

I was working on a 6”x3” cherry bowl blank today. Outside all done. Reversed it onto a tenon for 50mm jaws. Tenon broke off cleanly when I started first cut on interior at center of bowl. Almost looked like I had parted it off. Not sure why. I have cut much bigger bowls on this size tenon. RPM was low, so it fell on floor. Cut a new tenon for the 100mm jaws and finished it.

You can overtighten. Same with a recess. What that does is put a lot of stress on the tenon/recess. If there is the slightest catch, the extra stress is relieved by cracking, same as with drying the wood. With a 6 inch bowl, I would use a 2, probably 2 1/2 inch diameter tenon. On a bowl that size, when using a recess, my recess would be 1 5/8 inch diameter, and a shoulder of about 1/2 inch.

robo hippy

Rough turned this Box Elder piece yesterday. The shallow bowl is about 17 inches across, and the shallow tenon is 7 inches.
I can continue my curve (sight) right through the corners of the tenon, and just about touch the bottom. My intent is to either make it a round bottom, or pull the curve in just a bit to make a footed bowl. In either instance the eventual bottom will be within about 1/8 to 1/4 from the chainsaw cut.

Why give up another 1/4 or 1/2 inch to overhead, strategizing how small of a knob will keep the piece on the lathe?629AB319-D9B1-460B-AB33-EC4523A1EFCE.jpeg

Back