• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Terminology

I have heard some terms floating around and am slightly confused and also mildly amused. What is it:
a) Hollow Form
b) Pot
c) Vase
d) Vessel

Whatever they are, if there is a difference, I have made four or five and I still don't know what they are called. Is it just opinion, or does it have to do with preference or what you have been taught? Raffan calls them pots sometimes and says that it is from his time around potters, but does that make it any less accurate? All of the variables that I can think of are:
1. Utility. Can it hold things or is it purely decorative?
2. Is it for holding pencils, flowers, etc.?
3. Can it hold water?
4. Does it have a neck/lip, foot, or other details?
5. is the neck smaller than the widest point?
6. Is it a box, bowl, urn?
Can anyone clarify, or what do you like to call your objects?

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
This is, I think, one of those things that doesn't really matter so much - you can name your work however you like IMO.

But for me (and lots of others too I think) - When a thing has an opening that's significantly smaller than its diameter - I usually call it a hollow form.
Personally, I shy away from "vase" (even tho the same object made of clay or glass would probably be called that) as I don't want to imply that someone should fill it with water to keep their flowers happy.

The only other term I have used consistently is "weed pot" which I see as a small vase-like thing with a drilled hole (vs being "hollowed" and having a more consistent wall thickness).

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I use the term vase for online sales and at local markets but, as Dave pointed out, they always ask if it can hold water. I point out online and in person that it can't. Just like I sometimes remind them not to put their bowl in the dishwasher or let it soak in the sink. Not sure if the word "vase" creates the assumption but likely does. I think turners use the term hollow form more often. I go back and forth but doubt there is an actual definition distinction. I had one online customer refer to his purchase as a hollow form so I asked if he was a turner. He wasn't but had learned to use the term.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
The definition I use is if it is turned using a bevel supported cut it is a bowl, if I need hollowing tools to reach the inside it is a hollow form. The other terms are for other arts like pottery or glass. However, I think I have heard David Ellsworth refer to some of his work as Pots, but I think that comes from his ceramic background. Call it whatever you want.

I would add that for me, a pot generally has vertical or nearly vertical sides. A pencil pot for example is a pencil pot whether it’s made from wood, plastic or ceramic? I admit though that some pen pots don’t always conform to my earlier generalisation!

If I need hollowing tools to reach the inside it is a hollow form.

I also call those closed forms, but when the gallery puts them online they call them vessels.

I don't care as long as they sell!

When a thing has an opening that's significantly smaller than its diameter - I usually call it a hollow form.
Same here. Since the hollow forms I make are intended to be decorative (as is the case for most, I assume), I avoid using ‘vase’ so as not to encourage buyers to put anything inside (especially water).

That said, when I’m talking about turning to someone who isn’t familiar, there’s a good chance they don’t know what a hollow form is, so I’ll refer to them as vessels to avoid confusion.

I like hockenberry’s approach, though. Gonna start making more orbs! 😂

Back