• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Terra Conlon

Hi,
My father passed and he left us a OneWay 1224 lathe and Red Vega bowl lathe. Hoping to get the OneWay setup in our shop so we can make some cool stuff. I always wanted a lathe growing up. There would be someone at the local arts and crafts fairs turning and I would be quite enamored with it.

Cheers,
Terra

Welcome. Best of luck. My default suggestions are 1. try to join a local chapter of AAW, I believe you will find this money well spent 2. get professional instruction, it flattens the the learning cliff significantly. A corollary to #2 is load up on extra skepticism before watching videos on the internet. Some are unsafe and others are unhelpful.

Joining the AAW (not this forum) gets you access to a plethora of screened videos and articles for how to do things the right way. Most clubs require an AAW membership anyway to turn on club equipment (if they have it) for insurance reasons. Not a lot of $ for what you you get, club and AAW.

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Thanks All. This OneWay 1224 is great! Really enjoying it. I don't have much interest in the bowl lathe. Might get rid of it.

Welcome! First off, I'm sorry for your loss, but happy to hear you're taking an interest in turning and utilizing his tools. That's awesome. If you really want a jump-start for your turning skills, come to the Louisville Symposium next month. Price goes up in less than an hour, though. (still a dela at full rate)

Back