• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thanks to Golden Triangle Woodturners!

Seems like this might be a good place for this post since it could be of help to other newcomers to the pursuit. Golden Triangle Woodturners based in Denton Texas has an excellent Back to Basics video on bowl turning. I have purchased and chased down many video instructional things off of the web but this is the one that I found helpful. Looks like more to come in this series and there are some older long running video's too.

A very big THANK YOU to Golden Triangle Woodturners!

Their website: http://www.goldentrianglewoodturners.org/GTW/Welcome.html

Hopefully this is a direct link to their listings on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DentonTurners

Things like this are why I will be joining my local chapter of the AAW this month and the main group soon. Wonderful resources!

Hu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Golden Triangle Woodturners club is not a really big club, but it is composed of a bunch of really dedicated gung-ho turners. Some of them aren't satisfied with just one turning club fix per month so several of them also are members of my club, the Woodturners of North Texas. If you want to see what I look like (look fast, the page redirects in five seconds), see the picture in the lower left -- I'm the gray haired guy looking at the bowl. The guy next to me is Larry Roberts, our club's founder and he also participated along with his brother S. Gary Roberts and others in starting the AAW.

a fine distinguished looking gentleman!

The Golden Triangle Woodturners club is not a really big club, but it is composed of a bunch of really dedicated gung-ho turners. Some of them aren't satisfied with just one turning club fix per month so several of them also are members of my club, the Woodturners of North Texas. If you want to see what I look like (look fast, the page redirects in five seconds), see the picture in the lower left -- I'm the gray haired guy looking at the bowl. The guy next to me is Larry Roberts, our club's founder and he also participated along with his brother S. Gary Roberts and others in starting the AAW.

Bill,

I didn't have a preconceived idea what you look like but somehow I'm not surprised. You are a distinguished looking gentleman!

Hu

I was there at that meeting, but you won't see me in the video. It was very good. I had actually had a one-on-one bowl-turning mentoring session with the fellow doing the presenting, and I learned about 100 times more about turning a bowl than I had before. (N.B. - I'm not a bowl turner.)

Back