• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Basic Necessities

What are the basic necessities for someone just starting out on their turning journey? Without mentioning brand names, what specific tools does a Newb need to experience most aspects (bowls, pens, spindles, toys, etc.) of the craft? Should the neophyte concentrate on just one aspect until proficient before moving on to another?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
if I could only have 3 Tools

1/2” bowl gouge (5/8 diameter bar);parabolic flute
3/8 spindle gouge (3/8 diameter bar ginger nail grind
diamond parting tool

add 1 1/4” round nose scraper

with those tools I can do any outside Shape and hollow wide openings

if I could have 3 more tools
1/2” spindle gouge
1/4” bowl gouge (3/8” bar) Michelson grind or traditional grind
#4 Hunter carbide

if I could have 4 more
1 1/4. Square scraper
narrow parting tool chris stott style
1/2” skew
1/4” round skew

Join a club! Get a mentor.
Spindle Turning between centers with safety drives.
spindle roughing gouge parting tool 3/8 (shaft diameter) bowl gouge or detail gouge 500-600 grit teardrop diamond hone (Alan Lacer is the only source I know of). Your tools can be ground At the club meetings. At home you hone them until they need to be ground again.
When you are proficient with spindle turning between centers, make goblets and other hollow forms using a faceplate or chuck.
then progress to bowl turning.

I'll agree with Tim on most of what he said, but "proficient" is in the eye of the beholder. I had only made a few pens before I took my first bowl turning class. It was an amazing experience, and I don't think I was terribly hampered by minimal spindle experience. There is definitely some value in trying lots of different things to see what "pulls you in". However, I will agree that a great place to start is to just mount a block of wood between centers, and get practice making shavings.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
@Timothy White and @Dan Stromberg have good points.
if you are teaching yourself, I encourage you to get proficient with spindles before trying bowls

that said
when I lived in Maryland I taught about 200 students in the beginning bowl class At MD Hall for the creative arts. Class size was 8, nine 3 hour sessions Usually once a week.
first class was basics, safety, parts of the lathe, and the students turn a carving mallet. DF5E0B68-7728-4233-80EC-911FADF1A904.jpeg
this is great non intimidating beginning. All the first mallets were usable. A few were not too pleasing to look at.

2nd class a bowl from a 3” thick 10” disc starting on a screw center.

i never had a student who could not turn a bowl on their own by class 6.
most of these students were new beginners. 20% did not own a lathe or any turning tools When the they took the first class.

There are hundreds of small items a wood turner can turn on a lathe without needing a large selection of tools to use for the process. A basic set of carbon steel or high speed steel tools will work fine if you have a way of sharpening them. Carbon steel dulls quickly compared to high speed steel. A bench grinder with grinding wheels appropriate for you turning tools is almost a must as attempting to turn various species of wood green or dry can be futile if you have dull tools. Some of the basic tools can be a challenge for the beginning turner when they are unaware of the geometry of the tools cutting edge and how it interacts with the wood blank while it is turning. The skew and spindle or bowl gouge are the two tools that many turners have a hard time mastering, starting out you will have tool catches, most of these are caused by presenting the cutting edge of the tool to the wood at an improper angle. There are a number of videos on YouTube that can demonstrate the proper use of a tool and different ways a turning tool can catch. Some one on one coaching will decrease the learning curve and save you hours of frustration with simple errors everyone starting out makes.

Bottle Stoppers, Pens, Pencils, Duck Calls, Turkey Calls, Goose Calls, Light Pulls, Cabinet Knobs, Spinning Tops, Pepper Grinders, Coasters, Yo-Yos, Tool Handles, Shaving Brushes, Razor Handles, Shaving Cups, Magic Wands, Drum Sticks, Christmas Ornaments, Refrigerator Magnets, Pill Bottles, Cigar Cases, Desk Clocks, Wall Mirrors, Hand Mirrors, Lidded Boxes, Jar Lids, Candle Holders,
Small Vases, Fire Starters, Walking Sticks, Smoking Pipes, Walk Canes, Pool Cues, Chess Set, Checker Set, Letter Openers, Key Rings, Magnifying Glass, Whistles, Bangles, Rings, Globes, Mallets, Ring Boxes, Wine Glasses, Shot Glasses, Scoops, Spoons, Picture Frames, Baby Rattles, Mushroom Ornaments, Russian Dolls, Christmas Trees, Wood Marbles, Wood Beads and Wood Balls.
The list goes on and on.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
if I could only have 3 Tools

1/2” bowl gouge (5/8 diameter bar);parabolic flute
3/8 spindle gouge (3/8 diameter bar ginger nail grind
diamond parting tool

add 1 1/4” round nose scraper

with those tools I can do any outside Shape and hollow wide openings

if I could have 3 more tools
1/2” spindle gouge
1/4” bowl gouge (3/8” bar) Michelson grind or traditional grind
#4 Hunter carbide

if I could have 4 more
1 1/4. Square scraper
narrow parting tool chris stott style
1/2” skew
1/4” round skew
Great answer by @hockenbery I would like to add that if I could go back 26 years, I would tell that young guy that he can do everything he wants with a David Ellsworth 5/8 bowl gouge. Stop chasing the tools that are going to make you great. Only time in front of the lathe, and under a tutor, would do that.

Yes, probably like has been said, you can do a lot with very little, then as you learn, you can get more specialized tools. My preference for bowls is a scraper, a 40/40 grind gouge, and a BOB (bottom of bowl) gouge. I am strange and prefer a scraper for all of my heavy roughing.....

I turned maybe 2 spindles and went straight into bowl turning. There was no club at the time, so no real mentors available, so I had a Richard Raffen book and tape to start, and lots of wood.... Would have saved myself a lot of 'learning' time if the club had been around way back then....

robo hippy

Join an AAW chapter club and talk to many different experienced and proficient turners - each will do some things differently, the point is to learn there are different methods to get to the same end. Get mentoring for various phases and project forms.

Favorite online tutors (no specific order) - David Ellsworth, Alan and Stuart Batty, Lyle Jamieson, Mark Silay.

Way to sharpen tools. Basic setup is 8” slow speed grinder, AL oxide wheels, Wolverine with varigrind (not the vg2) jig.

Tools - 5/8” shaft Ellsworth grind bowl gouge, thin 1/16” parting tool, 3/8” fingernail spindle gouge, 2 x 1” wide x 1/4” or thicker scrapers, square and rounded. 1” and 2” spindle roughing gouge. Save the skew for later.

Accessories - a chain saw to harvest wood, a good live center, different size stebcenter drives for spindles, big 2 or 4 prong drive center for roughing bowl and HF blanks between centers.

Many tools and accessories are available as expensive name brands or hi value knockoff brands (which work very well). Depends on your wallet which to get.

Practice, practice, practice. Coves and beads. IMO one does not need to be proficient with one form before moving to another. Start with spindle forms and get comfortable, learn tool control/movement with the body (not the hands), and then try different forms. Always start with smaller forms, ie try a 6” bowl not 20”.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For the most part, most individuals will benefit from the "herd think" that prevails in the woodturning community.

For a very few individuals, however, there is a great benefit to exploring possibilities with the "maverick" method of searching for answers. It's a harder path to follow, with many more obstacles to overcome......but, the rewards can exceed anything a searcher can find through the more common methods.....

-----odie-----

mav•er•ick măv′ər-ĭk, măv′rĭk
►​

• n.
    A person who shows independence of thought and action, especially by refusing to adhere to the policies of a group to which he or she belongs.
  • n.
    An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
  • adj.
    Characterized by or displaying independence of thought and action.
More at Wordnik from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

You asked about the basic necessities you need to get started in this hobby. Let's say you have $1000 to spend.

1. Membership in AAW and membership in a nearby AAW chapter, $100.

2. A small- to medium-size lathe, $450 - $600 new (most come with the necessary accessories you need to get started).
Ask at you next club meeting if anyone has a used lathe they're selling, $250 - $500.

3. A reasonable quality slow-speed (1750 rpm) bench grinder, $125 on Amazon.

4. The three high-speed steel turning tools identified by everyone above, $170. (prices from Craft Supplies USA)
- 1/2" bowl gouge, $90
- 3/8" spindle gouge, $50
- Narrow parting tool, $30

5. That comes to about $995. Oops I forgot about sales tax!

6. YouTube access to watch a lot of entry-level videos.

7. Find some firewood to practice on.

Maybe a better alternative: Go to the next meeting of the local AAW chapter you plan to join, introduce yourself, and ask if there's someone who would provide some introductory lessons and help you decide what to buy and where to buy it before spending $800 or $900. Most clubs I've been associated with have at least a few mentors who would be happy to give you a lesson or two in their shop.

Good luck.

Brother Michael, I can use the term "brother" because I'm just a few weeks ahead of you. I found and joined a local club about a month ago. I joined AAW a couple of weeks ago. I have been positively impressed with the willingness of the AAW members to give answers and offer suggestions without a hint of belittling. I have learned when a question is asked be specific as possible.

If you are somewhat technical in nature, there are a few videos that provide detailed information regarding the geometry of which part of the edge must meet the wood and why.

Odie, my daughter's softball team was called the Benton Mavericks and rightfully so.

Take care,

Dan Henry ( an old long haired hippie type person)

You asked about the basic necessities you need to get started in this hobby. Let's say you have $1000 to spend.

1. Membership in AAW and membership in a nearby AAW chapter, $100.

2. A small- to medium-size lathe, $450 - $600 new (most come with the necessary accessories you need to get started).
Ask at you next club meeting if anyone has a used lathe they're selling, $250 - $500.

3. A reasonable quality slow-speed (1750 rpm) bench grinder, $125 on Amazon.

4. The three high-speed steel turning tools identified by everyone above, $170. (prices from Craft Supplies USA)
- 1/2" bowl gouge, $90
- 3/8" spindle gouge, $50
- Narrow parting tool, $30

5. That comes to about $995. Oops I forgot about sales tax!

6. YouTube access to watch a lot of entry-level videos.

7. Find some firewood to practice on.

Maybe a better alternative: Go to the next meeting of the local AAW chapter you plan to join, introduce yourself, and ask if there's someone who would provide some introductory lessons and help you decide what to buy and where to buy it before spending $800 or $900. Most clubs I've been associated with have at least a few mentors who would be happy to give you a lesson or two in their shop.

Good luck.
That is a good list, and some thinking went into that!. The only thing that sticks out for me - is a Wolverine, or Wolverine type of jig for sharpening tools on the grinder. I know folks who chose to forego the grinder jig - thinking they wanted to learn to "free hand" grind.....It just does not work out well for them because they waste a lot of steel, and can't get consistent shapes/angles that are sharp.

That is a good list, and some thinking went into that!. The only thing that sticks out for me - is a Wolverine, or Wolverine type of jig for sharpening tools on the grinder. I know folks who chose to forego the grinder jig - thinking they wanted to learn to "free hand" grind.....It just does not work out well for them because they waste a lot of steel, and can't get consistent shapes/angles that are sharp.
Oh yes, couldnt agree more. IMO 2 things are a waste of time for the beginner 1) freehand sharpening gouges, 2) attempting to learn to use the skew. Both can wait at least until “intermediate” status has been achieved. I consider myself an advanced turner, but will continue to use a gouge jig, and continue to use a skew sparingly (I dont do much spindle turning). There are just too many other things to learn and enjoy.

I think we will all agree that beginners tend to waste more metal by grinding, while more experienced turners will waste less because they sharpen.

As for platform sharpening or free hand sharpening, I picked it up easily. Perhaps the most difficult thing to learn is that every thing you do when sharpening is exactly what you do when you are turning. Anchor the tool on the tool rest, rub the bevel, and cut. If you turn maybe once a week, then you don't have those motions down to instinct. If you turn several times a week, you have the skills.

I still don't know how to use a skew chisel well. I think I turned one or two spindles when I started, and then went straight to bowls. Some prefer to teach spindle turning first, saying it is a good foundation for bowl turning. I guess that is possible, but I wouldn't know....

robo hippy

Back