• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

There's a new laser engraver in town

Finished a few maple yo-yos today. The natural finished one is embellished with a laser engraved design, using new-to-me software (Lightburn) and a new diode (cheap) desktop laser I put together earlier this week. The other three are candy-colored with alcohol dye, and embellished with Japanese Washi art paper side-caps.

2021_02_05a_mod.jpg

Last edited:
Lightburn software is a game changer for lasers. I run two diode lasers and one 40 watt tube laser with it. Fun to incorporate lasers with woodturning, nice job on the yo-yo.

How is the art paper applied? Is it similar to applying stencils?
Washi paper (or tape) has a sticky back and is very thin and flexible. So it needs stiffening up with some kind of backing like heavy cardstock paper. After affixing a strip of Washi onto the cardstock, I'll cut out rounds with a paper punch (1.25" round in this case). Then attach a sticky back epoxy dome on top of the Washi art to protect it. Finally, glue the Washi-cabochon into a recess (counter-bore in your turning) using Beacon Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive. Hope that helps.

washi.jpg

T
What’s the lazer? Does it give you some way to do pens?
The model I got is Ortur. Hit the link and scroll down the page to see their rotary attachment. From what I've seen so far, several people have modified the rotary tool to lase pens, Christmas ornaments water pitchers and lots of other things. There are several Facebook user groups for this manufacturer's stuff, with a tremendous amount of how-to info.

Ed, your yoyos are terrific. Maybe, too terrific. These are so perfect they could be seen as machine made, rather than craftsman made.

Back