• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threaded Drill Chuck?

A neighbor is selling a 1/8"-5/8" Jacobs Chuck for a song, but it uses a 5/8-16 thread rather than a JT33 or similar type of taper. So for an extra $11 I can get a 5/8-16 to MT2 taper. The thread tightens in the correct direction for using drill bits in my tailstock, but I've never seen a chuck that didn't have a taper connection. Does anyone have any experience with a threaded chuck?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've seen all kinds. I have sort of a chuck fetish and often by them at the flea mkt. They work fine. I've sold or given most of them away now. I may have one small one that has something near 5/16 threaded size but would have to look.

Back