• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Three new pedestal bowls

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Here are 5 pix of my latest series of pedestal bowls. All pedestals are maple, beaded bowl is BLMB with an ebony plug to fill a hidden void not visible until I turned the inside. Since the void was within 3/16 or so of the bottom, I used a slightly larger Forstner bit and drilled it right through; turned the plug and glued it in place. Decorated with incised lines.

Airbrushed bowl is cherry. Colored with pearlized auto paint and transparent airbrush colors.

Pedestal are between 10 and 11 inches tall. Pedestals plus bowl are between 12 and 14 inches tall.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Attachments

• Hawaiian 3 Crop Resize_WC.jpg
    Hawaiian 3 Crop Resize_WC.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 396
  • Hawaiian Dreams 1_WC.JPG
    Hawaiian Dreams 1_WC.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 393
  • KDunn_1_WC.jpg
    KDunn_1_WC.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 394
  • KDunn_2_WC.jpg
    KDunn_2_WC.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Pedestal_3B_Crop_Resize_WC.jpg
    Pedestal_3B_Crop_Resize_WC.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Impressive

I've noticed these on your post. I really like the treatments. If you want to share some air brushing info I'd be appreciative. I'm always looking for new ideas and these are really great.
Good Turning

Website
www.dickgerard.com
3 New Pedestal Bowls -- Airbrushing

4mikee

Thanks for the respone. You are the 1st!

As for airbrushing:

First get a double action, internal mix airbrush. I picked up my 1st airbrush from Harbor Freight for less than $20. You will also need an airbrush adapter. ANother couple of dollars. Then buy some some airbrush transparent paints. Finally, find some old flat wood and sand it to whatever grit you use on bowls. Then, practice 1 hour per day for a week or ten days. Play with the distance the nozzle is from the wood. The closer you get, the less pressure you should use on the airbrush "trigger". Practice making dots, splashes, and both fine and broad lines. In less time than you would imagine, you will be finding new things to do, like shading, mixing colors, blending one color into the next, etc.

Now that I've said all that, I must also say that although the Harbor Freight air brush is adequate for beginners and broad background color application, I recently upgraded to an Iwata airbrush, double action, siphon feed (the "jar") attaches underneath the airbrush. I couldn't affor moving to the Iwata top of the line model (Iwata HighLiner). But this is fine for my level of use. Also, the last bit of advice I can give you is this: porchase the DVD by Binh Pho titled "Surface Design on thin wall turning". Binh is a master. There also may be some airbrushing books or magazines out there, but I'm happy with the DVD by Binh.

Back