• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tim Ciscel

Guess the title of the post was supposed to be my name...don't see how to change it

Hello folks,
I'm very new to this and don't know the extent that I will become just involved or addicted !!!

Not quite retired yet !

I had some experience with metal turning as a co-op job coming out of high school prior to military service. Never got back to that even though the intricate measurements always drew me in.

Now the real reason I am turning....funny but it became an obsession to duplicate a Duck Call from one of the very well known whom has passed away. It's been going well and for me extremely easy to turn them even though I'm on a large and not a mini.
Funny that I'm using the caliper and thinking precision LOL
I have a question but its a not really a turning question and I'm not certain which section to post it.

Tim

Last edited:
Welcome. Worked with machined parts so I know the tendency to work with precision. Turning isn't as precise but, if you are like me, any woodworking is done with "precision." Used to live in NC...miss the fresh seafood! Questions are accepted and will be moved by admin if needed. We learn by asking.

Classified ad- For sale- one set of encyclopedias. Don't need. Wife knows everything.

Thanks for the Welcome feel.

Here's my question....I'll try and attach a photo.

I need to make the small wedge that is very tiny and is inserted against the reeds and into the insert section. It is so small and needs to be smooth and consistent. The only Idea I have is to use something to guide the dowel that is the same diameter as the tone board under the reeds, through a band saw????
Of course I understand that there is a lot of trial and error.

Does anyone have a much better solution or idea. I am not an advanced wood worker. I did turn all of these sections including the dowel that is inserted into the (insert). So this is a 3 piece call not a standard 2 piece.
Piece that is circled is my targeted need. This one is from the original call and is what I have been unable to duplicate as of yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_133338086.jpg
    IMG_20210202_133338086.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Guess the title of the post was supposed to be my name...don't see how to change it

Hello folks,
I'm very new to this and don't know the extent that I will become just involved or addicted !!!

Not quite retired yet !

I had some experience with metal turning as a co-op job coming out of high school prior to military service. Never got back to that even though the intricate measurements always drew me in.

Now the real reason I am turning....funny but it became an obsession to duplicate a Duck Call from one of the very well known whom has passed away. It's been going well and for me extremely easy to turn them even though I'm on a large and not a mini.
Funny that I'm using the caliper and thinking precision LOL
I have a question but its a not really a turning question and I'm not certain which section to post it.

Tim

Welcome aboard, Tim. No need to worry about becoming addicted to woodturning ... I seem to recall that a woodturner's support group for those who are hopelessly addicted to woodturning meets at the Klingspor's store in Winston-Salem. Who knows, they might even offer a group discount on turning tools. :D :eek:

I don't make duck calls, but seeing the picture I suspect that you could lose a few fingers cutting those tiny wedges on a bandsaw. A paring chisel or even a regular bench chisel might work for making those tiny wedges.

Good morning Bill

Funny that you mention that store. I stopped in there yesterday to seek the same advise and as expected nobody with any experience also.
Now I'm not certain just how many of these I need to make but the minor attempts that I have tried is the trial and error. Much more error!

Being so tiny I don't know if I can just place heavy tape over the throat plate or run a small thin piece of wood through and leave it in place....because the tiny piece falls either through the plate or bounces against the blade and is destroyed (damaged) by the blade after separation. Not being able to purchase the dowel in that size is the time consuming part and again the wood. I'm using African Black and Cocobolo.

I have zero experience with chisels other than some people mispronouncing my name. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Just had another thought make a jig by drilling a hole in a scrap that the turned teardrop shape will fit in the use bandsaw to cut that in two at whatever size you need. No to fine tune that piece use a piece of sandpaper either glued down or on a block to sand it out.

You might try watching a few videos on YouTube, there are plenty of people turning various types of animal calls posting videos.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Welcome to the forum! It is now too late to worry about addiction, you are already hooked! Like Bill said, your only hope is to find a support group, LOL Thank you for your service! On my bucket list is to call in some Coyotes and get them with any of my long-range guns. Aloha from Maui

Emiliano
You are very welcome,
I enjoyed the military as a Army MP. Lead me on my path of my career. I'm now a prison warden with nearly 30 years. Heck of a challenge.

The coyote hunting gives me year long opportunities as the season is open all year about anywhere you travel. I like many of the western states due to your stated desire to reach out and touch them a long ways away. My furthest to date is 425 yds with a 22-250.

I've been to a Oahu and the big Island but not to your home. Beautiful pieces of the earth !

Hello Tim, and welcome to the forum. Like Emiliano said....you're already hooked! :D I turned a few duck calls when I was a pen turner. You can get duck call kits at Penn State Industries......and as Mike mentioned there are a lot of YouTube video's on duck call turning. Happy turning!

Hey Lamar,
Thanks for the welcoming. I appreciate the support and keep the suggestions coming.
I got started because I wanted to duplicate a particular call from a custom maker. The kits that are available are just a barrel blank and a pre-turned (usually) poly insert. I'm getting a little closer to my goal of a fully completed call. I have used the rubber wedge that I've had to cut to fit for my purpose so far. New drive belt for my bandsaw should arrive in the next day and get me back to trying to perfect this tiny wedge I need. I don't have a scroll saw and I'm try not to just acquire more and more tools to accomplish my goal.

Lots of turning on youtube for the calls but there are zero that make the call in 4 parts. The call that I am making require 3 parts (the insert is actually 2 pieces) and the tiny wedge out of wood makes the 4th.
Most only venture into the 2 part range. Many just stop at turning the barrel for their uniqueness. I would not consider that a Custom Call.

But yes.......seems like the more I look at these calls and other blocks of wood......There IS Something in there that needs to shine !!!! Addiction is

Tim

Good afternoon folks. Yes the addiction has kicked in. Not been able to come up with any consistency of cutting the wedges. Still open to suggestions!
Below are a couple that I have completed and a couple that are still raw (no super glue).
African Blackwood and Cocobolo. Just to make some when out of wood I tried the Honduran Rosewood also.
Little did I know that I should be turning from the larger stock for both pieces to retain the consistent color and grain. Being Frugal.....not like any others I'm sure !!! I have been using two different sizes of stock. Guess they are the prototypes!

I now have a cross vise for holding my sound boards under a dremel with router bit.
Don't believe I have enough end travel to hold the dowel sturdy through the band saw...... need very long dowels, then get wobble with vibration.

Let me know if anyone has further ideas for my wedges.

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_211058470.jpg
    IMG_20210217_211058470.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 11
Good afternoon folks. Yes the addiction has kicked in. Not been able to come up with any consistency of cutting the wedges. Still open to suggestions!
Below are a couple that I have completed and a couple that are still raw (no super glue).
African Blackwood and Cocobolo. Just to make some when out of wood I tried the Honduran Rosewood also.
Little did I know that I should be turning from the larger stock for both pieces to retain the consistent color and grain. Being Frugal.....not like any others I'm sure !!! I have been using two different sizes of stock. Guess they are the prototypes!

I now have a cross vise for holding my sound boards under a dremel with router bit.
Don't believe I have enough end travel to hold the dowel sturdy through the band saw...... need very long dowels, then get wobble with vibration.

Let me know if anyone has further ideas for my wedges.
Hello Tim, very nice duck calls indeed. Glad you're having fun turning!:D

Back