• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tim Connell

Hello everyone.

I joined the forum a little over a year ago when I bought my first lathe, but never got around to introducing myself and joining in the fun.

I've been a flat woodworker for many years, mostly using hand tools. Always been fascinated with turning, but never had the opportunity, or time, or money to jump into it. Bought a Rikon midi lathe, and haven't completed a flat WW project since then.:) In fact, the lathe (and associated tools, etc.) is sitting on my Roubo bench and there isn't space to do flat WW until I build/buy a stand for it.

I live out in the country and have a wealth of trees to harvest (just need more time). Honey and black locust, oaks, cherry, walnut, maple, hackberry, mulberry, osage orange, ash and many more. The summer before I bought the lathe, we lost a large section of our standard size apple tree in a storm. Planning to cut some of it into lumber, I sealed ends and stored it in my machine shed until I could get it milled. Needless to say, none of the apple was made into lumber.

My shop is in my machine shed which is un-insulated, un-heated, and with a dirt floor. Most of my WW is done in the winter using space heaters. My threshold is about 20*, it's just too cold to work below that. The nice thing about the dirt floor is, I don't have to worry too much about cleaning up. About once a month or so I'll rake up the shavings and throw them away.

Keeping with the standard forum rule: no pictures, it didn't happen, here is a pic of some of the apple I made into a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride last August. Salt and pepper mill with bottle opener and stopper.

ians gift.jpg

Welcome. I don't feel bad since my shop in in the mid-50s. Those are nice turnings. Looking forward to seeing more.

Mike, I've always thought about putting in a woodburner, but would then have to put in a chimney/pipe as well. The shed is just a machine shed, with no interior walls/ceiling, so can't heat an area. Usually use a small electric heater blowing across the lathe and a propane heater when it's really cold.

Bill, the opener (and stopper) are Ruth Niles designs. The ring just under the handle has a lip that catches the edge of the bottle cap while the bell shaped base of the opener rests on top of the cap. It actually works pretty well. You are not alone in wondering about the opener, for months after the wedding my nephew was convinced it was a muddler -- he obviously didn't read the letter I included with the gift.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You are not alone in wondering about the opener, for months after the wedding my nephew was convinced it was a muddler -- he obviously didn't read the letter I included with the gift.

Thanks for the explanation. That's a funny story ... maybe it could double as a muddler. :D

Good to see you here too!
I haven’t done much flat stuff or furniture refurb since I committed to Turning (sounds better than addicted) .

Speaking of muddlers, has anyone turned one? I was wondering about the proper type of wood to use that can be cleaned. Most of the commercially available wooden ones seem to be made from bamboo, but not sure where to find bamboo lumber either.

Hello everyone.

I joined the forum a little over a year ago when I bought my first lathe, but never got around to introducing myself and joining in the fun.

I've been a flat woodworker for many years, mostly using hand tools. Always been fascinated with turning, but never had the opportunity, or time, or money to jump into it. Bought a Rikon midi lathe, and haven't completed a flat WW project since then.:) In fact, the lathe (and associated tools, etc.) is sitting on my Roubo bench and there isn't space to do flat WW until I build/buy a stand for it.

I live out in the country and have a wealth of trees to harvest (just need more time). Honey and black locust, oaks, cherry, walnut, maple, hackberry, mulberry, osage orange, ash and many more. The summer before I bought the lathe, we lost a large section of our standard size apple tree in a storm. Planning to cut some of it into lumber, I sealed ends and stored it in my machine shed until I could get it milled. Needless to say, none of the apple was made into lumber.

My shop is in my machine shed which is un-insulated, un-heated, and with a dirt floor. Most of my WW is done in the winter using space heaters. My threshold is about 20*, it's just too cold to work below that. The nice thing about the dirt floor is, I don't have to worry too much about cleaning up. About once a month or so I'll rake up the shavings and throw them away.

Keeping with the standard forum rule: no pictures, it didn't happen, here is a pic of some of the apple I made into a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride last August. Salt and pepper mill with bottle opener and stopper.

View attachment 27798

They’ll treasure that forever . Good on you.

(Posts edited and merged by Administrator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

It’s all in the latitude, I rarely go to shop if it is less than 65 which doesn’t happen often.

The handmade gifts are appreciated.

That reminds me of “I always golf in the 70s. If it gets any hotter than that, I stay home .”

(Posts edited and merged by Administrator)

Last edited by a moderator:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello everyone.

View attachment 27798
My threshold is 75, that's a cold day here, LOL Welcome to the forum. Aloha from Maui

Back