• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tim Kelly

Greetings to all from Las Vegas!

I have recently got involved in woodturning and have been completely overcome with how challenging and fun it is! I'm proud to say that I am now an AAW member and have recently joined this forum.

I have a background in large-scale metal fabrication welding as well as construction. Although currently, I am an IT professional... Go figure. I have been working metal for a long time and have a small machine shop perched in the garage as well as the requisite power tools used for regular construction and home improvement jobs. A few months ago, I acquired a ShopSmith on the cheap to use on some projects and decided to try woodturning on it after I acquired a bunch of logs while a neighbor was cutting down a Mesquite tree in their front yard. Well... that was addictive... but it wasn't too long after that when I discovered the severe limitations of turning wood on a ShopSmith. So now, I am the proud owner of a PM 2014, which is an absolutely fabulous machine. I have to say that it's fun just practicing and making shavings, but I have been really enjoying turning small bowls, boxes, and vessels. I'm learning the art of tool sharpening and maintenance, wood preparation, finishing, etc. There is much to learn, but I'm up for that! Fortunately, even in the desert South West, there is a lot of free wood to be had, which I have been snatching up as I come across it. Plenty of practice in my future!

It is great to have a resource like the AAW available to me, and I have been enthusiastically reading the forums on my quest for knowledge. There are a lot of very skilled turners here, and it is great to have you all in one place!

I look forward to being a part of the wonderful AAW community!

Back