• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tim Starliper

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Hello all! Thanks for letting me in to what looks like it will become yet another time sink I really don't need.....but I have never let that stop me before! :D

Note that while my name 'officially' is Robert, pretty much nobody calls me that outside of needing to use my full, legal, name. I have been called Tim (or a form thereof) pretty much from my first day on earth. Friends, family, everyone knows me as Tim. Robert is for legal purposes :D

I have been woodturning for...a number of years. Exactly what that number is, I really do not recall. It is more than a decade, easily. As of last October, I was elected president of our local chapter, Susquehanna Woodturners, in Harrisburg, PA.

I am married, with 2 kids - the eldest graduated from college about 3 years ago and is currently employed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Education, and does something with social media and such. I know it is a job attached to the secretary of education's office. My youngest is currently a sophomore in college and is studying environmental science - and loving every minute of it.

You could say I have not gotten far in life - when I was a few month's old, my parents and I moved into a half a house. That half house is at the back of the property next to my current home/property - in fact, it is ~15 feet from my workshop! We moved from there to a house around the corner - on the same block. When I moved out, I move to an apartment about half a block down from where I live now - but on the other side of the street. The only time I did NOT live on this block was about a year and a half after my wife and I were married - we rented an apartment in an apartment complex on the other side of town (of course, I had to have a pre-existing tie to that as well - my father and great uncle both worked on that complex when it was built back in the early 1970's).

Up until about 4 weeks ago, I worked in IT - mostly communications (network switching, routing, firewalls, etc.), and all at the same company. We are one of those 'biggest company you never heard of' places. The beginning of this year, I took a position in our internal audit department on the IT audit team. This is part of the corporate finance department, not the corporate IT department. There is, however, the very real chance that I will wind up auditing departments and groups I used to either be part of or work closely with. Is it wrong to look forward to that? :D

Once I start to read the forums regularly, which will be soon since I am going to add the URL to my 'home tabs' in Chrome, I will start to participate more. I am looking forward to engaging with other turners, learning, teaching, and just generally sharing ideas. And looking at all of the fancy things I can only hope to get skilled enough to turn someday....

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Back