• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Timothy Allen

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Time to introduce myself.

I first learned to turn about forty years ago, from my father, when I was in high school. I have been turning off and on (though mostly off) ever since. I acquired my own lathe, a second-hand Delta 46-700 (12x36), about twenty years ago. As things go, my lathe has been in "storage" for the last decade or so, but I have had reason to get it out recently and start turning again.

We split our time between coastal Maine and interior New Hampshire, and most of my woodworking tools and machines have migrated to our base in Maine, but I still have a desire (really a need) to "make things" when I am in NH, where I still have my lathe, bandsaw, and a drill press ...

So, some recent projects: Mortar&PestleFinishedWeb.JPG MalletWeb.JPG ToollHandlesWeb.JPG

The mortar is beech, about 5" in diameter, and the pestle is maple; both finished with mineral oil. The mallet is maple, also finished with mineral oil; it was modeled on an antique one that I have and use. The tool handles are maple and a maple/walnut sandwich, and are as yet unfinished (and may stay that way).

I have joined AAW and really appreciate all of the resources the association provides. I have also been attending meetings of the local small informal woodturning club, and have plans for further expanding my woodturning horizons as well.

Now, about a new lathe..... bigger, more powerful, modern, with all the bells and whistles?

I can't imagine someone named Tim Allen wanting a tool with more horsepower? :)
If you want to turn larger pieces a bigger lathe with more horsepower does help.

horsepower.jpg

Welcome!!
Agree==bigger lathes let you do more. It just depends on how much the wallet says.

Welcome. Maine coast? Fresh lobster? I'm jealous.
I was in Waterville Valley, NH, several years ago for a conference. Beautiful country there. When I got off the interstate, Bingo! Moose crossing! The clerk at the resort said they see them all the time. Just didn't want to see one in the middle of the road.

Back