• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

To know an exact spot when the lathe is running.....

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
When you need to know an exact spot, but can't identify it while the lathe is running, use a sharpie on your tool rest. This Cottonwood burl bowl has a void that I wish to reduce in size, but I need to know the exact spots where the extreme edges are. Otherwise, I'm in jeopardy of breaking through to the other side, because the wall thickness is very thin towards the rim. The Sharpie marks help a lot, and I use this method often for pinpointing a location on the surface, because otherwise it's just "by guesstimation"....and, in this case, guessing isn't good enough!
20240209_204454.jpg
After using them, the Sharpie marks are easily removed with a green Scotchbrite pad:
20240209_204757.jpg
Only takes a second to remove the Sharpie marks with the Scotchbrite pad:
20240209_204825.jpg

-o-

Last edited:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Anti-rolling device?
Plus it'll stick to a magnet
True + true. :) But makes it difficult to hold if trying to write with it. I have trouble holding a pen, fork & spoon, sandpaper!!!, etc., with my dominant hand. :(
I have a hex nut attached to my point tool (3-sided) for sharpening. Thought maybe Odie had some other ingenious use for it.

odie

TOTW Team
@odie What's the nut for on the Sharpie?
Anti-rolling device?

Plus it'll stick to a magnet

True + true. :) But makes it difficult to hold if trying to write with it. I have trouble holding a pen, fork & spoon, sandpaper!!!, etc., with my dominant hand. :(
I have a hex nut attached to my point tool (3-sided) for sharpening. Thought maybe Odie had some other ingenious use for it.

I have a permanent spot near the tailstock end of the lathe for the sharpie, and the nut is there to keep it in place when I use an air blast to blow away the wood shavings and sawdust.

-o-
This is an older photo and things have changed quite a bit, but you can see the Sharpie here with some pencils I regularly use. They all have the nuts on them so I can clear the area with compressed air, and nothing will be blown away.....except the shavings and dust. :)
IMG_1441.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
I put a piece of .masking tape below the top of the tool rest and put the marks there. Out of the way and easy to 'clean up'
Hello R.....

Thanks for your suggestion, and this is a good alternative.....just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat......however, it's been my experience that the simpler you can make any task, the more likely it will be used. :)

-o-

Back