• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tom Albrecht

My first try at a wood lathe was in 1964 when I had the good fortune to get kicked out of the parochial high school my parents were paying for and had to go to the local public school on the North side of Chicago. It was good fortune because the public schools offered real industrial arts classes. I think my first lathe project may have been a gavel, but what first attracted me to turning was the fact that I was in control of the sharp tools while the wood spun under power, instead of the other way as with all the other machines. That is still my attraction.

I wasn’t able to spend much time on lathes again until I started teaching industrial arts woodshop after college, and then soon after that I bought my first lathe, a solid Conover that served me well for a few years. When I started doing architectural production spindle turning for some local shops and contractors, the Conover became too cumbersome. I have been through a few machines since then, and since retiring from the education field a year ago I also quit the architectural turning, accept for special customers.

I have made most of the furniture in our home-- Craftsman Mission style-- and now I am trying to establish a daily routine of bowl and vessel turning. Sometimes it’s a struggle to tear myself away from the two lovely granddaughters that we care for and get down to the shop. (We have eleven other grandchildren spread out across the globe).

I am passionate about wood turning and I hope to become an instructor and offer classes in my shop.

I enjoy this forum and find it to be the best, and only forum that I visit now.

Back