• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tom Hansen

Hello fellow turners,

45 years old out of Portland OR. Turning for about a year. I'm a member of Cascade Woodturners and NW Woodturners. My wife bought me a small WEN lathe for christmas and it was quickly apparent it wasn't big enough. I bought a Nova Galaxi 16/44 last fall. I've done a lot of green wood turning so far. Quite the learning curve trying to figure out how to process it so it doesn't crack. I'm mainly interested in hollow forms, vases and boxes. Lately embellishment has caught my attention. Currently shopping for a texturing tool and a hollowing tool set to replace my sorby hollow-master.
Covid-19 hit and I thought I'd be turning a lot more than I was but as it turns out, it's been less. Full time student currently with a wife that is full time work from home and a kindergardener that's home from school until next year = way less time than ever before.

Not sure why it took me so long to register for the forums. It's a huge resource and I'm very happy to have it.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome Tom, and glad to have you aboard! You'll find a ton of knowledge here. Hope you find the time to enjoy it :-D

Mark

Thanks for the welcome. I pulled the trigger on a 5/8" 3 piece set of Trent Bosch's hollowing tools. Looking forward to taking them for a spin on some fresh cherry I have.

Of course, pretty much anyone in the area that wants to, gets to hang out with dale at least once a month. It's a neat shop, i've learned a lot there.

Back