• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tom Larkin

New to this forum but have been turning for over 35 years. I live in Tipperary, Ireland . I have a mid 1950's Harrison Graduate lathe, modified and reconditioned by LRE in the UK. I am current membership Secretary of the Irish Woodturners Guild. I am retired for a couple of years so have very little time for turning!!.
I am currently investigating how to make an elliptical chuck - I never buy something I can make myself. If there is anyone out there who has made one I would be delighted to hear from you.

IMG_15).JPG
Most satisfying Woodturning project was traction engine which I designed and made with our local Woodturning group for entry in our national Woodturning competition ( it won).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Tom. That's a beautiful traction engine. It's no wonder that it took first place. Several woodturners have built elliptical chucks and at one time plans could be found on the web. Perhaps somebody on the forum has more information about them.

Hi Tom, good to have you here.
Your engine is amazing!
Curious about the size. What is the approximate length?
It is 75cms long and is built to a 1:8 scale. It is based on a real traction steam engine, and everything works when the flywheel is rotated- 2 forward gears, reverse, brake, winch etc. We donated it, along with several other very nice pieces to our local hospital (St. Luke's in Kilkenny) where it is on permanent display and raising funds for our chosen charity - Cancer Homecare Team.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Tom,

When designing an elliptical chuck, especially one used at high speed (I’m an ornamental turner, so high speed is >10 rpm), be sure to consider counter weights for the offset. This is needed to ensure you minimize vibration. Bill Oom’s design for an eccentric chunk would be a good place to start.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Meld0eGem0U&feature=youtu.be

Kind regards,
Rich

Back