• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tom McClellan

Hello everyone, I'm Tom McClellan and I'm located outside Philadelphia in the suburbs directly to the west of the city. I am fairly new to woodworking in general and started with a course in furniture building at the community college. We spent a single day with a quick intro to the lathe during the course and I knew I wanted to do more.

I bought the jet midi and have mostly just done practice turning on scrap so far. I bought the fundamentals of woodturning book by Keith Rowley and have read it 3-4 times, but hoping to start attending the local(ish) AAW meeting and find some other books to read.

I do work full-time and will continue for a long time, plus I also have the family with two small children, so available shop time is my bottleneck. I characterize my woodworking strategy as the tortoise vs the hare. As long as I keep at it regularly, I'll tortoise my way to slowly improving.

Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people and a great place to learn. Ask questions.
Had some family in the west and SW Phillie area. Uncle was a dedicated Phillies fan- back before cable TV, he would go out to his camper with a couple of bottles of Rolling Rock beer and a transistor radio to listen to the game.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
Time - they just don’t make enough of it.
Try to get to the woodturning meetings. Many terrific turners in the philly area.

The tortoise approach will serve you well if you have enough time to practice any newly learned skills before you forget them.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Tom. I think that it's the instant gratification that makes woodturning so attractive ... at least that is what happened to me. I did flat woodworking for many years before I suddenly took an interest in woodturning when I retired. I received a gift certificate at Rockler Hardware from my coworkers and I intended to buy a bandsaw, but something caused me to inexplicably decide that I needed a lathe. All the other machines in my shop are now as lonely as the Maytag repairman.

Back