• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool rest for Laguna 18/36

I recently purchased a Laguna 18/36 and it has been a great lathe. I am currently looking for a shorter tool rest. From what I have read there are "1 inch" posts that are various diameters. I am looking for suggestions for a tool rest that will fit my lathe.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Tim

I have the same lathe, and have been very happy with the Robust tool rests. They make them as short as 4", going up in two inch increments. They are not cheap, but they are excellent tool rests. They are also available in various curved forms for bowls and boxes, all very well made.

Dan

Hi Tim,
I purchased the Nova tool rests and they work great for me. I have the 4” and the 6”. One note to point out, is the fit was a snug on the tool post. I just rubbed a little Yorkshire grit on the posts and worked them back and for for a few minutes. Now they slide in smooth as silk.
Jon

Tim, for me I found the 6” Robust worked great. It somewhat depends on what you are turning if a 4” would be better. I don’t have experience with other brands, but IMO it’s just darn hard to beat a Robust rest.

I look at the hardened drill rod tool rests like I look at variable speed, and CBN grinding wheels, once you try them, you never go back. Robust makes some fine ones, and so does Steve Sinner. You might also try D Way tools as Jimmy Allen makes some great case hardened steel rests mostly intended for box making, but maybe 4 inches long.

robo hippy

Hannes Tools and Best Wood Tools are two other sources for tool rests. I am very pleased with a J shaped tool rest I purchased from Hannes, it tend to be my go to. I also have a short Robust rest and an 8" Sinner and both also see a lot of use.

Definitely want a rest with a hardened rod. I prefer the rod be small, like the Robust rests, which I have 4, 6, &12” straight comfort rests. Highly recommend. I have read the Laguna uses a clamp vs a perpendicular bolt and is finicky about diameter. I’ve never seen the mechanism but I wonder if there is a way to adjust it for slightly smaller diameters. Since I have several Robust rests I will measure dia and report back. If you get interested in curved rests robo has some nice ones on his site.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Robust web site lists most of the commonly used lathes for the tool rests.

I really like the 4” comfort rest. One caution the long comfort rests can interfere with a pull cut as you drop the handle the bar will the ride on the front of the support dan not the hardened rod.

the J rest is terrific for hollowing bowls.

@robo hippy sent some really nice rests to the Florida symposium to go in their auction.
They are a J rest design with a nice support for the hardened rod. Well worth a look.

Nice thing about dealing with Robust or Robo is you can always contact them and be sure what you order will fit.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... I really like the 4” comfort rest. One caution the long comfort rests can interfere with a pull cut as you drop the handle the bar will the ride on the front of the support dan not the hardened rod.....

I have a bunch of Robust rests and highly recommend them. However, when I want to make a pull cut with the handle dropped really low the Steve Sinner rest is my favorite.

Back