• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tool rest

Hi,

Looking for a 5 inch tool rest for PM 3520b. The modular ones I have seen get a little pricey buying both post and rest. Powermatic has one but want lots of $$ for it.

Got ideas.

Herb

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I really don't consider something that I would get my moneys worth out of pricey. I buy the modular rests and a post dedicated to each one, as I hate to stop the creative flow to change the post (or chuck jaws for that matter).
How much is the PM one vs a modular with a post?

Modular tool rest 1" post 6" round bar is about $36.00 at Woodcraft. I have it and it is fine.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Check out the Bestwoodtools tool rests. I have several and really like them. I didn't like the Powermatic short tool rest until I ground the corner off the top of the post. You couldn't slide your hand down the rest without hitting that protrusion.
I buy the modular tool rests from Bestwoodtools but I buy a post for each one. It's just too much of a pain to swap posts even though they do make it easy. Their tool rests are made from a low vibration metal that was designed for Nasa so they aren't just like anyone elses round tool rests. Vic also chose the special brass collar for the same reason.
www.bestwoodtools.com

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I really don't consider something that I would get my moneys worth out of pricey. I buy the modular rests and a post dedicated to each one, as I hate to stop the creative flow to change the post (or chuck jaws for that matter).
How much is the PM one vs a modular with a post?

Just wondering, Steve.....

Do you have chucks that are dedicated to a particular set of chuck jaws. That sounds expensive, but I understand things like this really do help to keep your train of thought.....at a time when you just hate to stop!

OOC

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I will second the Robust tool rest. I don't have one yet but have been lusting after them. I think it is an excellent design and I believe he has them to fit the Powermatic.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Just wondering, Steve.....

Do you have chucks that are dedicated to a particular set of chuck jaws. That sounds expensive, but I understand things like this really do help to keep your train of thought.....at a time when you just hate to stop!

OOC

Yep, 5 strongholds, and about 10 faceplates. If you have to remove one before the project is done, you can never get them back on the same again. Also probably 5-6 toolrests and a couple of box rests.

Hey, it is a vortex!

tool rests

Herb, Suggest you find a welder and have him make up a rest for you. The modular ones are fine but they sit too far back from the work on a PM. The welded kind need to sit forward of the post about 1.75 inches so you are not busting your knuckles all the time. Phil

Hi,

Looking for a 5 inch tool rest for PM 3520b. The modular ones I have seen get a little pricey buying both post and rest. Powermatic has one but want lots of $$ for it.

Got ideas.

Herb

Welded posts

I agree with Phil. The one I made has a post, another piece welded at an angle above the post, and a cross bar welded on top of that. I used 1" cold rolled steel and welded it myself with a MIG welder. Not pretty but it works fine. I need to make some more of various lenghts.The forward angled piece above the post makes a big difference.

By the way, a spare tool rest is WAY less expensive than a MIG welder and a tank of shielding gas.:eek::D

I love the ones I get from Packard Woodworks:

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
112845 T-Bar Rest (3/4'' dia. x 4'' long) 1 $21.95
112811 T-Bar Post (1'' Powermatic 3520A/4224) 2 $31.95

I needed the 4" bar for a doll bed I'm making the osts of which have a pommel that was interfering with my 6" rest.

Joe

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Yep, 5 strongholds, and about 10 faceplates. If you have to remove one before the project is done, you can never get them back on the same again. Also probably 5-6 toolrests and a couple of box rests.

Hey, it is a vortex!

You know, I've been thinking of doing exactly that with my stronghold, but havent' yet. I see I'm not the only one that thinks it's worthwhile to do things like that.

thanx

otis of cologne

Just to be clear, Packard sells a couple of rests. The ones I prefer strongly are the Bestwood tools rests, as mentioned previously.

Joe

Website
www.abhats.com

Hey, it is a vortex!

This is a completely new thing to me. Not to start a chuck 'religious war' , but I really never had that problem with any of the Technitool chucks (3 different sizes) and jaw sets (9) I've got. I've also a Vicmarc with two jaw sets and all together have numbered jaws that I can remove and replace without having to worry about any significant displacement - probably more due to wood movement than anything else. I'm really surprised that Stronghold chucks and jaw sets have this problem. Are there more people with this issue?

Back