• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for August 2, 2021

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
“Macadamia Nut Natural Edge Bowl” by Emiliano Achaval is my choice for the turning of the week. The curve elevated by inconspicuous feet set under the flowing rim make this piece rock. Emiliano achieved the marvelous rim by seeing what nature provided and then selecting the centers to let the turning showcase the rim.
Nice choice of wood too but this piece would look terrific painted black with the bark removed.
A simple concept executed to perfection.
In picking Emiliano’s piece, I had a dilemma: on one hand, I don’t want to favor someone I know; on the other, I don’t want to unfairly bypass the work of people I know.

1627906722879.jpeg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations, Emiliano. This is indeed a beautiful piece and the well-executed pure form perfectly complements the beautiful piece of wood.

Doug, What you saw was a momentary glitch in the title, but that has been corrected. We have chosen a team of experts who take turns selecting an image from the forum gallery with no specific restriction on time as long as the winner is currently active on the forum.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thank you Al very much for the honor. Those of us that know you, your work, your reputation, and your knowledge of woodturning know that favoritism is not how you operate. I'm very proud of this piece. Sold the moment I posted it. Went to New York, and the fact that the Macadamia did not crack was the best part! This forum has helped me in so many ways, I'm grateful to the AAW for it. Aloha

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Beautiful! and THIS is my favorite kind of turnings to see (and strive to achieve that level of quality) - no embellishments, paint, art, epoxy, no fancy carving, just a great eye for the natural grain, shape and form of a chunk of wood. Nice detail on the feet, I would be it took quite a bit of sanding after carving them out.. but well worth it in such a lovely piece.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
How does TOTW. Do you have to apply, will you be selected? Where can I read the rules?

You don't apply and there aren't any rules. The eight TOTW team members are Al Hockenbery, Tom Gall, Odie, Brian Horias, Donna Banfield, Emiliano Achaval, John Lucas, and me. We take turns selecting images from the photo gallery. When a thread is started to announce the turning of the week, the team member will give their reasons for selecting the image.

You don't apply and there aren't any rules. The eight TOTW team members are Al Hockenbery, Tom Gall, Odie, Brian Horias, Donna Banfield, Emiliano Achaval, John Lucas, and me. We take turns selecting images from the photo gallery. When a thread is started to announce the turning of the week, the team member will give their reasons for selecting the image.
Thank you for this information.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
a fine choice! I love how the feet. I need to learn how to do that.
Hello Dave. I wrote an article for Woodturning magazine about how I carved feet on my work. I should have your email. It is very simple really. Today I used for the first time my die grinder for carving. I usually use it just for embellishing. Boy, that thing has speed and torque. A bit dangerous perhaps, so take precautions, like a glove on the hand holding the work. I like to have the work on the vacuum chuck now, locked spindle. I have anrsenal of carvong tools. They all work, you can use whatever you have that will get the job done. THank you Dave! Aloha

Back