• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trend Airshield custom built battery charger WOW

My Trend Airshield was not in use for about three years. I bought it in mint condition but the battery was completely discharged. I decided to treat the battery as a new one since it was fully discharged so the first charge with the wall wart stock charger was about 12 hours. That was followed by running the airshield until the battery was almost discharged. So I charged it a second time for about 10 hours. I did the airshield rundown and battery recharge four times until I was confident the battery was stable. The problem with the stock wall wart charger is you never know when the battery is fully charged as there is no indication from the charger. I understand that is one reason why over charging with the stock charger can and has in some cases killed off a battery. What I found was although apparently fully charged the battery strength was weak. Air flow was OK but not as strong as it should be. The little flow tester with the tiny red ball that comes with new Airshield's would not move at all. Thus, there must be a better way to deal with charging Airshield batteries properly. Off to this forum I went, or perhaps sawmillcreek.com, I'm not sure but I believe it was here at AAW. The forum discussion is where I learned about a custom built battery charger. Pictures showed a "cradle" someone built and the after market charger that was used. The charger is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B8C2QA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00? ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I decided to give it a go and after two failures I came up with what you see in my picture. I cannibalized a part from a Panasonic wireless phone no longer in use. The part has two terminals that are from spring steel and therefore "springie". They align perfectly with the terminals on the airshield battery. I show a picture of the terminals of the battery and the terminals in my cradle. They don't align in the picture but very much do so when the battery is turned upside down and placed in the cradle. I had to grind away some of the plastic housing with my dremel so it would fit flat as you see it in the picture. It conveniently has two screw holes on the back of the part that I used to attach it to my wood. Then I soldered leads from each terminal on the backside of the part with leads long enough to be available to the charger connectors. See pictures. I'm still in shock about the results and improved charging. It took less than two hours to a full charge and you know it is a full charge because the red charger light changes to green. The charger reduces charging output to a trickle charge, when the light turns to green, until you remove the battery from the charging cradle. The charger instructions state that one should use the 0.9a (left position) for charging the airshield stock battery. I did .. perfect results.

My custom cradle is crude but the charging it produces is fantastic. More fan power, no beeping caused by a weak battery because it is no longer weak and the little red ball in the air pressure testing device goes all the way to the top. What I don't know is how long the battery will provide good airflow in the Trend Air Shield. I'll test it to determine if it meets the manufacturers spec of 10 straight hours.

I was thinking about selling my Trend Air Shield when I first pulled it out of storage. Now I am reconsidering because of the amazing performance increase with my new charging cradle. I hope this post is helpful if you decide doing the same thing. And don't overlook the fact that should you buy other OEM batteries for your Trend Air Shield, this charging cradle will replace the OEM wall wart charger that in my opinion is almost useless.

I basically copied the “cradle” and charger combination from instructions and images of the other member who posted on the subject. I certainly don’t claim that mine is original, it wasn’t my idea but I happily plagiarized it. The one difference is the terminal part I used that was removed from a Panasonic wireless handset. If anyone plans to build this charger you have two working choices. Have fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
That is a great idea. Not being able to control how long the battery charged was dangerous as well as killed the battery. I was going to do the same thing but I gave my Airshield to my brother.

Will your brother give it back? Joking of course but the results for me just blow my mind. I hope others can benefit from my experience.

Just my 2 cents. I have an AirShield Pro. Went through 2 factory batteries. From what I read here it was probably leaving them on the charger too long. Not happy at all. Found an article on making a cradle for 3 AA rechargeable batteries. The article included sources for the new cradles and other components. Not my helmet work when I want to. Shame that AirShield doesn't step up on this poor design. They undercut the helmet badly by making the cost of batteries a significant expense. I couldn't find the link to the article I followed but I did have the packing slip and a spare battery holder that you need to build the replacement pack. I cannibalized one of my dead batteries for a tray in which to put the cradle so that I had an exact fit in the helmet's battery compartment. I have bought a couple of Duracell combination packs that include both the charger and 4 NiCad rechargeable AA batteries. The charger DOES HAVE a flashing red light to tell you when it is charging and a steady green light to show that it is done. The instructions that come with the charger say it's find to leave the batteries in the charger indefinitely after the green light comes on. I am getting very good battery life and all it cost me was $25 in parts, charger and batteries. Yes, you do have to do a small amount of soldering and cut the plug that connects the factory battery to to the helmet, solder that to the two leads of the cradle from Mouser. Sorry, my explanation probably isn't all that good. I'll be glad to answer any questions or send more pictures if asked.

Attachments

• MouserBatteryPack.jpg
    MouserBatteryPack.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 39
Just my 2 cents. I have an AirShield Pro. Went through 2 factory batteries. From what I read here it was probably leaving them on the charger too long. Not happy at all. Found an article on making a cradle for 3 AA rechargeable batteries. The article included sources for the new cradles and other components. Not my helmet work when I want to. Shame that AirShield doesn't step up on this poor design. They undercut the helmet badly by making the cost of batteries a significant expense. I couldn't find the link to the article I followed but I did have the packing slip and a spare battery holder that you need to build the replacement pack. I cannibalized one of my dead batteries for a tray in which to put the cradle so that I had an exact fit in the helmet's battery compartment. I have bought a couple of Duracell combination packs that include both the charger and 4 NiCad rechargeable AA batteries. The charger DOES HAVE a flashing red light to tell you when it is charging and a steady green light to show that it is done. The instructions that come with the charger say it's find to leave the batteries in the charger indefinitely after the green light comes on. I am getting very good battery life and all it cost me was $25 in parts, charger and batteries. Yes, you do have to do a small amount of soldering and cut the plug that connects the factory battery to to the helmet, solder that to the two leads of the cradle from Mouser. Sorry, my explanation probably isn't all that good. I'll be glad to answer any questions or send more pictures if asked.
I read the same story and you left out that the battery pack can be plugged directly into the helmet via the charging port to power the helmet. I am not to great with small solder jobs and the connection from battery to plug is difficult for me to do. I may have the number for the connector in the shop as still have several if anyone interested let me know. Oh I use rechargeable batteries in that pack. The battery tray is available on eBay and Amazon.

The light on my charger stopped working long ago and I called. They said it did not impair charging. I have rebuilt both battery packs but the build did not last long. So I discovered if instead of using the charging tray I plug the charger directly into the helmet it will work that way if in a hurry to give airflow. I use this method now to also charge the battery and will leave it connected sometime for two day. This build on the battery is over 3 years and still going.

the charging cradle was the first thing I did when I got the mask a few months ago, I connect it to my rc lipo charger and charge it at 0.7 amps

just make sure your battery is held tight in the cradle mine moved a little and it gave smoke, I quickly removed it and thought it was toasted, luckily I opened it when it cooled and it was one of the nickel strips connecting the batteries that was burned, after quick cleaning I was able to solder the burnt connection and the battery is working again.

I read the same story and you left out that the battery pack can be plugged directly into the helmet via the charging port to power the helmet. I am not to great with small solder jobs and the connection from battery to plug is difficult for me to do. I may have the number for the connector in the shop as still have several if anyone interested let me know. Oh I use rechargeable batteries in that pack. The battery tray is available on eBay and Amazon.

The light on my charger stopped working long ago and I called. They said it did not impair charging. I have rebuilt both battery packs but the build did not last long. So I discovered if instead of using the charging tray I plug the charger directly into the helmet it will work that way if in a hurry to give airflow. I use this method now to also charge the battery and will leave it connected sometime for two day. This build on the battery is over 3 years and still going.
I will give that a try, I was thinking of building a big battery pack and wear it as a belt or put it in my apron but was considering how to connect and disconnect will be annoying if I soldered a connector inside the helmet, if the charging port can deliver power directly to the motor even without the battery inside the helmet that will help a lot.

I will give that a try, I was thinking of building a big battery pack and wear it as a belt or put it in my apron but was considering how to connect and disconnect will be annoying if I soldered a connector inside the helmet, if the charging port can deliver power directly to the motor even without the battery inside the helmet that will help a lot.
Yes you can plug direct to charging port on helmet to run and to charge at the same time. I used an overhead plug so the cord did not interfere with turning.

I'm not sure if they changed the design since I bought mine recently but mine didn't work if I removed the battery and connected the charger as a source of power, if the battery is inside the mask it will work with the cable connected

I was planning to build a battery pack using 18650 batteries in parallel to keep the voltage at 4.2 volts but was worried about charging it if they went out balance (I'm using old used 18650) this can be fixed if I have battery tray connected in parallel or use dc-dc buck converter and reduce voltage from 3-cell RC plane lipo to 4.2 volts, I couldn't find a 4 in parallel battery tray locally so I will connect the buck converter to the in series tray to power the mask. I'll post about it when I'm done

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpg
    IMG_3814.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 17
I left battery in tray when using with direct power so it would also charge the battery. For the rebuild I used the original tray . Had thought about using the 4 battery tray the way you are. Does it really need the diode. I discovered recently that I had ordered a diode and just could not remember why.

Back