• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trend Airshield

I have a chance to buy a Trend Airshield Pro for $200. It's new in the box at an estate sale bought about a year ago and never used due to purchaser getting sick and passed away. I've read on this site about them and reviews online. The reviews and opinions are all over the map. I just watched a video from Woodcraft of a man using one to turn a project at a lathe and when he took it off it was fogged up. Just looking for some opinions of people that own one. thanks. Right now I'm using a half mask respirator under a Bionic face shield, I'm getting by fine other than kind of hot in some summer days.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have a chance to buy a Trend Airshield Pro for $200. It's new in the box at an estate sale bought about a year ago and never used due to purchaser getting sick and passed away. I've read on this site about them and reviews online. The reviews and opinions are all over the map. I just watched a video from Woodcraft of a man using one to turn a project at a lathe and when he took it off it was fogged up. Just looking for some opinions of people that own one. thanks. Right now I'm using a half mask respirator under a Bionic face shield, I'm getting by fine other than kind of hot in some summer days.
For that price, I'd buy it as soon as I could get to a bank to get cash. There's anti-fog lens cleaners on the market that work well to help prevent fogging, but if the whole thing is working right, positive pressure from the filtered incoming air should prevent that anyways, I would think. Either way, I am still in the market for something I could actually afford - Dust masks do me no good with a full beard, so I gotta either stay clean shaven (SWMBO would not be happy) or find a full face helmet/respirator like the trend - I have one in my amazon saved for later last I looked it was almost $400 - not yet affordable for me.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I don't own one of those, but I do use a PAPR. Like @Brian Gustin said, probably go for it at that price. Air circulation is nice on those warmer days. And clean lungs are more fun.
You may find that you don't like the weight of the battery/fan on your head. But if that turns out to be the case, you should be able to re-sell it for what you paid.

I've used one for years. Only time it fogs up is when I forget to turn it on. I've had to replace the battery pack once, one I have now needs replaced in a few months. I recommend changing the plastic shield protectors often for a clear view. After 3-4 hours use, it does start to feel a little heavy but taking a break often eases that. My next one will be a PAPR on a belt to lighten up the felt weight on me pumpkin.

Vincent, I have had one for several years; I like it a lot. I had issues with the headband; first time it was replaced for free, second time I had to buy it. No fogging issues if the device is turned on, lol! I am a segmenter so the time it’s on my head is more limited. I would jump at that price.

I don't own one of those, but I do use a PAPR. Like @Brian Gustin said, probably go for it at that price. Air circulation is nice on those warmer days. And clean lungs are more fun.
You may find that you don't like the weight of the battery/fan on your head. But if that turns out to be the case, you should be able to re-sell it for what you paid.

I have one that I bought as a return from Rockler for $195 and I am quite happy. Awkward first time in two but after that stretches up to 2 hours with no complaints, no pain, no fogging. great price and will make a big difference.

I have had mine for several years and barely use it due the the weight and extreme uncomfortable nature of the headband. I find that I can wear it for no more than 2 minutes without getting a headache. In my opinion it’s not worth the money at any price. I’ll happily sell mine to anyone interested. I will be purchasing a PARR filter that has a belt or backpack mounted fan system to remove the weight from the helmet.

Sounds like a good deal. I have one but really couldn’t adapt to the noise and weight plz

Sounds like a good deal. I have one but really couldn’t adapt to the noise and weight plz
Weight placement on my head. I got to try a power cap at the Chattanooga symposium and I was sold. Much quieter and lighter. I keep the trend unit as a backup. I’m really sensitive to dust. Recommend you use the clear tear offs. It’s easy to ruin the shield with CA glue etc.

Weight placement on my head. I got to try a power cap at the Chattanooga symposium and I was sold. Much quieter and lighter. I keep the trend unit as a backup. I’m really sensitive to dust. Recommend you use the clear tear offs. It’s easy to ruin the shield with CA glue etc.
Yep, I can verify that the clear tear offs on the face shield are very nice when turning wet or sappy wood.

I have one of these as I have to be extra careful due to my asthma . It is excellent although a little heavy wearing for long periods. You can buy replacement tear-offs to protect the main face shield but I found a much cheaper alternative that you can buy on a 10m roll. It is a plastic used for cake moulds and can be cut to size with a pair of scissors then attached with double sided tape.

Buy it. I've had one for a couple years and it really works without fogging. There is some noise because of the fan. But the next model up with the belted battery and fan cost over $1000. I'm just too cheap to make the change.

I passed on it due to several of the responses above, mainly the noise, second from all the weight of the motor and filters on top. I'm getting along fine with my 3m half mask with p100 filters and a bionic face shield and safety glasses. I have worn the 3m belt unit at work and the belt mounted motor/filter in my opinion is more comfortable. I've bought things before just because it was a good deal and not been happy I think it's better to wait and get what you want. Thanks to everyone for the help.

I bought a Trend Airshield Pro at a show when I first started turning. It was OK. I didn't have have the fogging problems but it never fit my head very well. I stopped using it because I questioned the filters that were in it. It seemed to me that the dust went all the way through the filter material. Since I was often using 3M's P100 when I sanded, the poor filtration was a concern. Another weak point was the nickel cadmium batteries. it My batteries died and I ended up replacing them and then selling the unit.

I moved the battery and switch from the helmet to the back pocket of my smock. The battery’s weight was only about 25% of the headgear but this change has moved the balance and has helped.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 18
I spent most of my life in metal fabrication, wearing all types of masks, breathers, and shields designed to protect against projectiles, aerosols, smoke, fumes, and grinding dust. I do like the idea of protecting my face against flying objects, but most of these filtration systems are cumbersome and seem to be overkill for the wood dust I generate at the lathe, so I make my own powered masks using a bionic shield, and a 75x30mm usb fan plugged into a rechargeable usb battery that rides in my back pocket. The filters are made from polyurethane foam and a few drops of avocado oil.

PROS: lightweight cool and comfortable, easy on off, never fogs up, seems to do a great job, and costs around $50.

CONS: dries the sinuses a bit, there is some fan noise, 30db+- , the filter is as good as you make it, more filtration equals less airflow. The fan is rated at 12 cfm and .6 inches SP. Certainly Not approved by any authority.

My design continues to evolve and I’m not selling anything but I’m always happy to share details with any DIYers who are interested.

Back