• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tried something new - need help.

I decided to work on my spindle turning skills last night so I used a small mahogany branch and turned a box (hopefully pictured below). It's about 6" tall and 2 inches diameter. I tried something new (for me) at the neck. The next picture should show closeups of the neck area (without the lid). In the view at the left I like the open curve of the "wings". However when you rotate the turning 45 degrees you see the view on the right (a more upright closed perspective on the "wings" which I don't like so much).

I tried to think of a way that I could get get that "open curved" look from any viewing angle. I thought maybe 3 or 5 points might work better, but the more I thought about it the less it seemed it would.

Of course I could always just keep experimenting to see if I can figure it out, but with this great resource available I can't help but ask. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Ed

Attachments

• CRW_9191_i.jpg
    CRW_9191_i.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 383
  • CRW_9193_i.jpg
    CRW_9193_i.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 382
Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
turning

Hello there,

I think the answer is to use an odd number of "points". If you use an even number the points will be symetrical, and therefore they will line up from certain angles. An odd number would solve the problem; a higher odd number will ensure that you always have the inside of a back point visible between the front points. I think!

Keep us posted with your results.

Andy

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I think Andy's idea about the odd number of point is key. Also you may want to think about reducing the diameter of the beaded box such that the wings extend a little beyond. This would provide a little more emphasis on the crown. There is a lot you can do with this design. Keep playing with it but do it on paper first. It is a lot easier to work out the relationships that way.

Andy - I thought about using 5 points, but the more that I thought about it the more I began to think that I would end up with something like the picture below. I used my Adobe Lathe (aka photoshop) to quickly mock it up.

Maybe 6 or 8 would do the trick.

Ed

Attachments

• CRW_9193_1i.jpg
    CRW_9193_1i.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 325
S. - I like the idea of increasing the relative size of the crown (either smaller beads on body or larger wings on crown). I try working some of this stuff out on paper, but for me it's often easier to just throw some wood on the lathe and go for a spin.

I think the answer to my original question is to use more points. I'm not convinced yet that odd (at least 5) is the only way to go. 6 or 8 might acutally look more balanced. Maybe not. THIS I am going to try and work out on paper.

Stay tuned.

Ed

You could stay with the four corners and use paper on a dowel or other shaped sticks for point alignment when final sanding. Other way to cheat a bit is to use sticky sandpaper on a board to level the points as you do to level the "legs" on a square piece.

Website
www.zionfire.com
A different way to skin your cat...

cobia said:
I think the answer to my original question is to use more points. I'm not convinced yet that odd (at least 5) is the only way to go. 6 or 8 might acutally look more balanced. Maybe not. THIS I am going to try and work out on paper.
Ed,

I'm guessing that you like the shape of the curve when viewed at the correct angle, and that you've got it in your mind to work toward that with the crown effect.

So long as you have an even number of points, you're going to have flat spots on both sides. With an odd number of points, you're going to have an imbalance. You'll NEVER get the bowl shape.

Have you considered not making your scallops so deep? If you dip the top something like 1/8-1/4" below the points, you'll retain the graceful curve, and yet still have the essence of the crown showing up on the side view.

One thought from the middle of somewhere. :cool2:

cobia said:
I thought about using 5 points, but the more that I thought about it the more I began to think that I would end up with something like the picture below. I used my Adobe Lathe (aka photoshop) to quickly mock it up.

Putting one more point in with Photoshop does not give you 5 equally spaced points. So you got the two doubles (lined up) with one out that looked very lopsided. Try using your fingers held up like the points and turn your hand. You do get something like you showed but very briefly as you turn your hand and it is not spaced as far apart as you pictured.

I like the idea of an odd number with shallower points to reduce the "line up" effect. You will always have the oddness to deal with. I have a 5 bladed ceiling fan which I play a mind game with to get balance in my minds eye. It does not have center symmetry, so if that is what you really like using more points (even number) would be a center symmetry method that would probably reduce the boxy effect you object to in your four point crown box.

Points or Continuous Rim

DeanGThomas said:
So long as you have an even number of points, you're going to have flat spots on both sides. With an odd number of points, you're going to have an imbalance. You'll NEVER get the bowl shape.

The issue is points. The problem is points. Turn a continuous rolled rim. Then carve the spaces between the 5 points. Because you are turning air, then back into wood, you are getting the flats. Tough stuff to turn. Like the wings on a natural edge bowl.

John :)

Back