• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Triton Respirator

I have been using the Triton Respirator for almost two years and think its
the greatest thing sence sliced bread. After using it, if you examine the pre filter and see all the sawdust it has collected and the secondary cartridge
filters collecting the finer sawdust one knows it is doing the task it was
designed for. I have no way of knowing how many microns the dust particles are but I'm certainly pleased with its performance. Don't forget not only are you getting breathing protection but also head, eye and hearing protection. I have to say that it is well worth the price and I'm certainly a
satisfied customer.

Another happy owner

Like the others, I, too, have the Triton and am very pleased with it. At first, I thought I'd find wearing the thing uncomfortable and that I'd take it off every chance I got. That's not the case. I find that I turn the power supply off and flip the face shield up when I'm not turning or sanding, but I keep the helmet on while I'm in the shop. I just forget I've got it on (which does produce interesting looks from my wife's friends when I come in from the shop).

Also like the others, I've got no way of knowing how effective the filter is doing its job. I do know that after a lot of sanding, I don't have the fine dust caked around my nose and mouth that I did when wearing an inexpensive particle mask. Nor do my lungs and throat feel like they're coated with gunk. So, I think it's doing its job. The combination of the helmet and attached hood prevent air from coming in from any source other than through the filter and the filter is OSHA rated, so I'm pretty comfortable with that aspect.

One complaint about the Triton is its power supply. It does not use replaceable batteries and the battery charger takes a long time to fully charge the unit. (You want to fully discharge the batteries every time and fully charge them up, or the batteries' capacity will be decreased.) On my list of things to get is another power supply, so I'll always have a fresh one.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some more poking around and found information concerning particle size and filtration; it appears that at least 95% of the small (harmful) particles are filtered.

I then did some shopping, and found the unit on Amazon for $189. Since I had other items to buy, totaling $300, Amazon is taking off $50 this month for that amount of purchases. Thus, the net cost was $139, which I couldn't turn my back on.

Ed

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
davidwalser said:

One complaint about the Triton is its power supply. It does not use replaceable batteries and the battery charger takes a long time to fully charge the unit. (You want to fully discharge the batteries every time and fully charge them up, or the batteries' capacity will be decreased.) On my list of things to get is another power supply, so I'll always have a fresh one.

Battery memory is a thing of the past, no NiCad or NiMH batteries made in the last 10 years would have it (except maybe some cheap imports)

Put this in the category of learning something new everyday...

n7bsn said:
Battery memory is a thing of the past, no NiCad or NiMH batteries made in the last 10 years would have it (except maybe some cheap imports)
Well, the Triton is an import, but it's not "cheap", so that's good news! I'd still like another battery pack.

Sky

My buddy used the Triton faithfully until the day he had bad gas. The hip mounted intake sucked in the fumes and literally put him to his knees. :eek: He now uses another type where the air intake is positioned on the helmet.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Sky said:
My buddy used the Triton faithfully until the day he had bad gas. The hip mounted intake sucked in the fumes and literally put him to his knees. :eek: He now uses another type where the air intake is positioned on the helmet.
I have also heard first-hand reports about this drawback of belt mounted units.

Bill

Maybe Triton should include an organic vapor filter for the "not so fresh days". That was almost as funny as the guy who glued his shirt to his nipple.

Jeff

Sky said:

So in my notes on this I need to remember not to use a Triton on the days I have burritos for lunch? ;)

woodwish said:
So in my notes on this I need to remember not to use a Triton on the days I have burritos for lunch? ;)

No big deal, gives us users an opportunity to empathize with those who spend time aroud or near us. :rolleyes: :p

Sky

jumper60954 said:
Maybe Triton should include an organic vapor filter for the "not so fresh days". That was almost as funny as the guy who glued his shirt to his nipple.

Jeff
Maybe a charcol filter could be added?? :rolleyes: We have a lively bunch down here in south Florida.

The Triton arrived from Amazon today. When I put it on, the first thing I noticed was that the optical clarity of the face shield is not very good. Have others noticed this, or did I get one with a bad face shield? I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Ed

The Triton arrived from Amazon today. When I put it on, the first thing I noticed was that the optical clarity of the face shield is not very good. Have others noticed this, or did I get one with a bad face shield? I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement.

After seeing the post with the price from Amazon, I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. The clarity of the face shield is excellent. Before sending it in, try to call Triton directly. The US number is in the booklet.

Triton

The Triton is on my Christmas "Wish List" so I hope Santa is good to me. If not then I will have to be my own Santa. In either case I am looking forward to putting it to good use.

Tony

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Face shields and CA glue

No matter which brand you use, I URGE you to remove the face shield when you use CA glue. I was using my Racal shield, applied some CA and then used the accelerator. The Racal sucked in the vapors and I got a concentrated dose that could not have been healthy.

The thin film protective sheets should be used to protect the surface of the shield.

Back